Internal Networking

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ygk

Internal Networking

Post by ygk »

Hi,

I have installed vbox on windows 10 and created two ubuntu16 vms on it and assigned an internal network to them.
I have created a DHCP server and attached it to the internal network. But only one vm is getting the dhcp IP. The second
vm is not getting the dhcp IP. Why ?

Thanks
ygk
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Internal Networking

Post by socratis »

ygk, since we were talking over the IRC, this is not the real problem that you were having. Please describe the whole problem from the beginning with as many details as possible.

From my understanding, you want to have two VMs: VM1 has a DHCP server and you want the VM2 to get an IP from VM1. Is that right? If not, please layout the scenario, your hosts, your VMs, their configuration, every detail.

You can't expect an answer to your question like that. If you want an answer to your original question, I'm going to tell you to check the two VMs configuration and compare them.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

@socratis I don't think that is the problem. I read it to mean that he configured the VirtualBox DHCP server for the internal network, but only one of the vms is getting an IP from it.

My first question would be "are the vms clones"? If they are they will have the same MAC address and cannot have different IP addresses. You will need to go to settings of one vm, find the NIC, click Advanced and click the symbol to generate a new MAC.
Bill
ygk

Post by ygk »

Bill is right. I created a dhcp server and assigned it to the internal network called 'intnet'. I created two ubuntu 16 vms on the vbox but only one vm is getting the dhcp IP. I compared both machines. The second vm is set to dhcp mode
but still it is not getting the dhcp IP.
ygk

Post by ygk »

Never mind. I just disabled and re enabled the dhcp server from the commandline and now both the vms are getting the IPs. :)
Thanks a lot for your help guys.