Error message says there's insufficient memory for app

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
HighwayThunder

Error message says there's insufficient memory for app

Post by HighwayThunder »

The app is called Extend. It's a manufacturing process simulator. (It works fine on a PC with a Win2k OS.) My virtualbox Win2K is hosted on a Lenovo Ideapad 100, Windows10 OS, 8GB RAM. The Virtual Win2K works OK otherwise. The Extend app on the guest Win2K loads and the user IF comes up, but when I try to load even the smallest simulation (or even a blank simulation) I get the error message.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (15.64 KiB) Viewed 822 times
I have tried allocating more memory even though the amount originally allocated should have been sufficient. Do not know why the app won't work.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Error message says there's insufficient memory for app

Post by mpack »

Please post a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip, and attach the zip here.
HighwayThunder

Post by HighwayThunder »

Thanks. log File attached.
Attachments
Windows2000-2018-09-21-11-33-08.zip
(23.73 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Ok, the allocation already given to the VM is huge by the standards of the time, and your host can afford the allocation, so that's fine too.

I don't think there is any problem with the VM, I think the problem is the application. As mentioned, 3GB is a huge amount of RAM for a Windows 2000 PC, especially when the OS only has a 4GB disk drive and hence can't allocate a proper swap file. Or perhaps it is suffering from overflows when it is calculating available RAM. I.e. perhaps you should be reducing the RAM, not increasing it. I would start at 256MB and see what happens. I would not allocate more than 1GB until you've given it a larger disk drive. The disk drive should be around 32GB.

Also: I would ditch the error prone VHD format as soon as possible. I suggest cloning it using CloneVDI, which will create a VDI and allow you to resize the drive and main partition while converting the type.
HighwayThunder

Post by HighwayThunder »

Thanks very much. That's informed advice. I'll do what you've indicated.
Cheers,
R