Host & Guest NIC Security

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
secretsquirrel

Host & Guest NIC Security

Post by secretsquirrel »

Hi,

I have a W10 Host with a Linux Guest (Firewall) running.
I want to ensure that the NIC used as WAN-IN by the Firewall is not able to be accessed by the Host. Is there a configuration within VirtualBox which disables this or is that a Windows 10 configuration discussion ?
(Basically, I only want the Host to be accessible inside my home network and the Guest Firewall the only path out to the Internet.

Many Thanks
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Host & Guest NIC Security

Post by socratis »

secretsquirrel wrote:I have a W10 Host with a Linux Guest (Firewall) running.
I'm not sure I understand your network setup. Are the host and the guest independent computers, or are you using the guest as a firewall for the host? Can you explain the setup in a little bit more detail please?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
secretsquirrel

Re: Host & Guest NIC Security

Post by secretsquirrel »

Hopefully the attached adds clarity.
From my Cable Router, I want to have this address the assigned Guest port only. The Guest output port will connect to my internal home network. It is only from the internal home network that I want to be able to address the Windows 10 host.
That is, I do not want the Cable modem (Internet) to be able to see the Host.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (21.51 KiB) Viewed 516 times