How to fix The process has more than one thread

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
MalnarM

How to fix The process has more than one thread

Post by MalnarM »

I would like a solution for fix my issue that detail is below.
Error In supR3HardenedWinReSpawn
(rc=-5640)
Please try reinstalling VirtualBox.
where: supR3HardenedWinReSpawn what: 1
VERR_SUP_VP_THREAD_NOT_ALONE (-5640) -Process
Verification Failure: The process has more than one thread.
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine test1.

The virtual machine 'test1' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1). More details may be available in 'C:\Users\MalnarM\VirtualBox VMs\test1\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {85cd948e-a71f-4289-281e-0ca7ad48cd89}
My host OS is Windows 10 Professional version 1803 (OS Build 17134.254)
BIOS VT-x Enabled
Last edited by socratis on 19. Sep 2018, 06:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote] tag for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: How to fix The process has more than one thread

Post by socratis »

Please read really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues for some generic guidelines/ideas. Remember, these are guidelines, not the exact solution, you have to use your judgement as to which program might be responsible. We could potentially give you a suggestion or two if you posted a ZIPPED VBoxHardening.log and we see signs of known applications.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MalnarM

Post by MalnarM »

This log file of my issue
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(12.62 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

718.5cc: supR3HardenedWinFindAdversaries: 0x3
718.5cc: \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\SysPlant.sys:
718.5cc:     ProductName:     Symantec CMC Firewall
718.5cc:     ProductVersion:  14.2.518.0000
718.5cc:     FileVersion:     14.2.518.0000
718.5cc:     FileDescription: Symantec CMC Firewall SysPlant
Did you try uninstalling Symantec, or adding an exception as stated in the FAQ that I assume you read?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MalnarM

Post by MalnarM »

I try to uninstall Virtualbox and Symantec Endpoint protection then disable Windows defender. Then I installed VirtualBox-5.2.18-124319-Win. I found a same problem. Please find log in attachment.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(11.68 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Last edited by socratis on 19. Sep 2018, 06:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I don't see Symantec anymore, so that wasn't the problem after all. Check the following two articles and follow the instructions:
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

"Thread not alone" IME is usually caused by by web filters, i.e. an app used by business/parents to blocks access to web pages which the employee/child shouldn't be accessing. Unfortunately AFAIK these apps are not detected as "adversaries" by VirtualBox (ISTR I raised a ticket about this a long time ago), so you won't get any hint from the log. The easiest way to find out would be to load up an Internet browser on the host and try to access a page that would be blocked. You'll likely get a web page telling you "Page blocked by BusyBody Snooping Web Tool!" or something similar, and then you know where to look.
Launix

Post by Launix »

Unfortunately I have the same problem since I got a new Windows 10 laptop (I was on Windows 10 before but on a different laptop) - I can't start my VirtualBox images any longer with that infamous rc=-5640 return code and the "VERR_SUP_VP_THREAD_NOT_ALONE process verification failure message / the process has more than one thread".
I have done an extensive search with about 5-8 different solution options which all didn't help (older VB versions, regedit and manual service start, disabling Turboboost, ensuring virtualization is turned on, different virtualization settings in the VB configuration, sfc /scannow with no findings, disabling Windows Defender virus and firewall, ...).
I'm running out of options left to try and would really appreciate if someone with the right knowledge might be able to help by looking at the attached log file. I'm using McAfee as Antivirus solution as well if that helps as information since some posts indicate that antivirus solutions might be the problem - the configuration was the same on my previous laptop tho. Maybe the log file has some helpful information which I didn't see yet.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
Log File
(12.61 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

As already said, looking at the log will probably not help a whole lot. You need to do the experiments mentioned above.
Launix

Post by Launix »

well, ok - but actively looking for web pages which my IT department has blocked could end in an unexpected contract termination since there are reasons why pages are blocked.
And even if I find one and the web filter in charge, I don't see how I can disable it since, again, IT has installed these for a reason.
Wouldn't it be better to get VirtualBox fixed to deal with the situation it encounters on a system in the right way?
Looking at my web search, there's a large number of users out there with this problem.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

It is not a problem with blocked web pages.
The problem is some kind of "security software" locally on your system which injects/attaches itself into every application running on your system, including the VirtualBox processes.
VirtualBox cannot allow this for security reasons.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Launix wrote:well, ok - but actively looking for web pages which my IT department has blocked could end in an unexpected contract termination since there are reasons why pages are blocked.
Then tell your IT people about the problem and require a solution. That's what they should be there for.

You need to understand how the web filter thing works. It isn't just a plugin for your browser, as an employee who wants to break the rules could just use a different browser. Instead the web filter injects itself into every running application, with the intent of examining every internet message the app sends or receives. That behaviour is too much like malware for it not to cause problems for any hardened app. And VirtualBox must be hardened, because parts of it have kernel level access to the host.
Launix

Post by Launix »

ok, understood. Thanks a lot!

I have found another thread where BeyondTrust PowerBroker was identified as another potential culprit, and I have that running on my system as well. So I disabled both services but this didn't help.
So I guess it comes down to McAfee at there's a newer version on my new Windows 10 system compared to my old system. I can not turn this one off per IT policy, of course, and so I'm off VirtualBox
for now. I was able to start my old VB image with the 4.1.30 version but the gap is massive and this doesn't work, starting with the guest extensions.
So VM Ware player it is then, as it seems. Too bad.
Jeanphi

Post by Jeanphi »

Just in case it helps, I have the same problem, I can work it around the following way:

Loop until it works:
  1. Start VirtualBox, start the VM, this reports the infamous error error, start again, again the error.
  2. Stop VirtualBox
After 2 to 3 iteration it usually works ... I have unfortately no time to dig further ...
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

That sounds like a feature of your AV (app becomes trusted after several runs), not a feature of a VirtualBox.