VBox client: Virtual Box kernel service is not running. Exiting

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ray bell

VBox client: Virtual Box kernel service is not running. Exiting

Post by ray bell »

I downloaded virtual box and the ubuntu 14.04 vm on my Windows 10 host. When I login, I get the error: VBox client: Virtual Box kernel service is not running. Exiting.
Then I am directed back to the login screen.

I tried following the advice offered in a similar discussion. I uninstalled virtual box, then I reinstalled it after right clicking on it, and clicking on 'Run as Administrator'. I am still having this issue.

Do I need to also uninstall the Ubuntu vm, and start again completely from scratch?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VBox client: Virtual Box kernel service is not running. Exiting

Post by mpack »

The message means that VirtualBox has not been installed correctly. VirtualBox must be installed by the user who intends to run it. For example, you should not log in as "admin" or "adminstrator". Instead you should log in as yourself and, to be sure the required rights will be available, use "Run as administrator" to run the installer. If you can't supply the necessary admin rights then you'll need to get the help of someone who can.

I can't answer the question about the Ubuntu VM. You say you downloaded it but give no further details, so there is not enough information to say more about it. Most people do not download VMs, they download the installer ISO and use it to create their own VMs. But, you couldn't have done that as the current user, and if you did it for a different user then that other user owns the VM - it's stored in his/her documents area. If you want to try moving that VM then see Howto: Move a VM (you'd have to move the VM into your own docs area).
ray bell

Post by ray bell »

Thank you for your response. I uninstalled Virtual Box once again, restarted my laptop and logged in under my name again. Then I right-clicked on the downloaded oracle virtual box( .exe )file, clicked on run as administrator and installed virtual box. The virtual machine that I previously installed, Ubuntu 14.04 from Learn Enough, was automatically added to virtual box. When I start the vm, I get a login prompt, where I put in the password provided by learn enough. Then I still get the same error message about the kernel service not running.

Is it possible this has to do with the fact that I have an internet filter installed on my Windows 10 laptop?

If so, is there any way to deal with that issue, besides getting help from the filtering company?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Have you perhaps missed out part of the story, for example that you are using RDP?
ray bell

Post by ray bell »

I am a beginner at all this. This is my first time working with a virtual machine, and I was relying on Learn Enough, the online tutorial that provided the virtual machine, for all of the configuration details, although I did change some network settings when I was directed to do so during set up. I am not sure if I am using RDP and if I am, how that could affect the kernel service...

I hope your answer will not be that I am in over my head... :) and I should forget about using a virtual machine for now.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

ray bell wrote: and I was relying on Learn Enough, the online tutorial that provided the virtual machine
Don't go with online tutorials and pre-made VMs. Or if you do, you should ask them for help, we can't possibly know what they've done to the VM.

It's much easier if you download an ISO yourself and follow the beginners' chapters from the User Manual: Or even better, read the whole chapter 1. First steps.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ray bell

Post by ray bell »

Thank you for the suggestion. I dowloaded the latest Ubuntu release from the Ubuntu website and it is working as a vm in Virtual Box :D. I am still having some issues within the Ubuntu guest OS, but I will try to read more of the manual before posting them here and also to try figuring out whether the issues are connected to Ubuntu or to Virtual Box.

This is a pretty big learning curve but it is so cool, and I am so thrilled to be learning how to work with a vm, and working in a Linux environment for the first time.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

ray bell wrote:I dowloaded the latest Ubuntu release from the Ubuntu website and it is working as a vm in Virtual Box
Glad you got it going. Marking as [Resolved]. Or it could go as a [WorksForMe] actually... ;)
ray bell wrote:I will try to read more of the manual before posting them here
Just a quick note; one thread per topic, one topic per thread. It keeps the discussions focused...
ray bell wrote:This is a pretty big learning curve but it is so cool, and I am so thrilled to be learning how to work with a vm, and working in a Linux environment for the first time.
That's the spirit! 8)
We're going to be here to help you with any issues that you have. But keep the user manual handy as well... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.