[Solved] no usb devices attached (none in the list with no filter set)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ouebsy
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: 5.2.2r 119230

[Solved] no usb devices attached (none in the list with no filter set)

Post by ouebsy »

Hi,

I'm working on a company desktop, equipped with windows 10.
I'm running virtualbox 5.2.2 r119230 and Extension Pack has been installed.
I have 2 guests, one solaris 11 and 1 ubuntu.
In the virtualbox Manager under settings/usb, there are no usb device listed. There is no filter defined.
The usb devices are seen by windows.

I wonder if any "security" policy could prevent virtualbox to see usb device ? How could I know if it is the case ?

Thx a lot for your help

In attach, the log file
Attachments
VBox.log
(81.35 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: no usb devices attached (none in the list with no filter set)

Post by socratis »

If you can't see any of the host's USB devices, even if you issue the command:
  • 
    VBoxManage list usbhost
then there's something wrong with your installation. Most probably the USBfilter was not allowed to install. Try re-installing VirtualBox following the steps below:
  1. Uninstall VirtualBox. Your VMs are going to be untouched. Reboot.
  2. You may want to clean up your registry and/or filesystem at this point. CCleaner is a freeware utility that could help you. Mind the installation, it comes with "offers" from 3rd parties, known as "bundleware". Also, check out Device Cleanup program that helps you to remove any unused devices from your computer, mainly multiple "Host-Only Adapter #n".
  3. Download (if you haven't already) the latest VirtualBox and its matching ExtPack. Store them in a common location, i.e. not on "Desktop", or "Documents", but to "Public/Downloads" for example.
  4. Uninstall (don't simply disable) all 3rd party antivirus. If you're afraid about your computer being vulnerable, pull the Ethernet plug, disconnect your WiFi, don't go browsing around.
  5. Locate the downloaded file in Windows Explorer. Right-click on the installer and select "Run-as-Administrator", even if you are the administrator. At the end of the installation, choose to "Start Oracle VM VirtualBox". Do not worry if your VMs do not show up.
  6. If you're going to install the ExtPack, go to File » Preferences » Extensions. Click on the icon with the orange, down-pointing arrow on the right. Select the ExtPack from the previous steps.
  7. Quit VirtualBox. Re-start VirtualBox as you would normally, i.e. from the Desktop shortcut or the Start menu.
  8. Update the Guest Additions (GAs) in your guest(s), if the GAs are available for a specific guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ouebsy
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: 5.2.2r 119230

Post by ouebsy »

Super !!

Indeed, de-installation and re-installation solved the problem ...

Many thanks for your help !

Cheers,

Yves
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
alexelsevier

Re: [Solved] no usb devices attached (none in the list with no filter set)

Post by alexelsevier »

I solved the problem like this simply by reinstalling Virtual bpx. The host system is Windows 10. Guest -XP.