VirtualBox stops working when adding hard drive

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
reddierocket

VirtualBox stops working when adding hard drive

Post by reddierocket »

I am using version 5.2.18 of VirtualBox with a Windows 7 host and a Windows 10 VM.

I created the VM with a 105GB hard drive in VDI format. Now I would like to add an additional drive (actually an existing drive, but I don't get far enough to make that decision). Here is what I do:

- Select the VM and click Settings, then Storage
- I can either right-click and pick "add hard disk" or click on the add hard disk icon, both give me the same result.
- The VirtualBox stops working

I have tried rebooting, unplugged any usb drives except my mouse and keyboard. I don't have any custom namespaces or anything, just the standard Windows ones (I saw this suggested as a fix in one forum). When I look in the logs, I don't see anything unusual (to me). Other than the boot failures for the floppy drives and CD-Rom (since I don't have any in), the only "fail" I see are these:

Code: Select all

00:01:04.794426 VMMDev: Guest Log: VBoxMP::VBoxMpCrCtlConConnectHgcm: WARNING! :vboxCrCtlConConnect failed, rc (-2900)
00:01:04.794469 VMMDev: Guest Additions capability report: (0x0 -> 0x0) seamless: no, hostWindowMapping: no, graphics: no
00:01:04.794627 GUI: UISession::sltAdditionsChange: GA state change event came, notifying listeners.
00:01:04.794729 VMMDev: Guest Log: VBoxMP::VBoxMpCrCtlConInit: VBoxMpCrCtlConConnectHgcm failed with rc(-2900), 3D not supported!
00:01:04.794855 VMMDev: Guest Log: VBoxMP::DriverEntry: 3D is NOT supported by the host, falling back to display-only mode..
I have added other drives to other VMs in prior releases, but this is my only Win 10 setup. I just tried it with a ubuntu VM and got the same thing, so it would appear it's either my environment or the new version of VB.

Any ideas?
Thanks
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VirtualBox stops working when adding hard drive

Post by mpack »

I've seen something like that before, and I suspect it has nothing to do with adding a hard drive, and instead has to do with opening a file browser window. The host OS is having trouble opening some volume to browse. When I saw this before there was a Bluetooth stack which for some reason was trying to open a connection and taking forever to time out.