Bridge networking issue on VB 5.2.18 r124319

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
rr18

Bridge networking issue on VB 5.2.18 r124319

Post by rr18 »

Hello,
I have a problem using Bridged adapter on Virtualbox of the stated version. Here is the detail about my environment :

Host: Windows 10 Home Single Language x64 [Version 10.0 build 17134]
Guest: a) Ubuntu x64 18.04.1
VirtualBox: 5.2.18 r124319
Network: Host computer is using WIFI connection.
Previously: Working with the same version but using NAT. Other adapters do not work.

I read this thread ([Fixed] Bridged networking 5.2.0 issues (#17186)) to try to fix my problem. As long as I understand, the problem should have been fixed on the later version after 5.2.0. However, this is not the case and I already tried to uninstall and install as administrator along with the extension pack as recommended by socratis (see the thread above), but the problem persists.

Could anyone help me please?

Please don't hesitate to ask for more detail in order to solve this problem.

Best regards,

rr18
Last edited by socratis on 16. Sep 2018, 07:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added missing URL.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Bridge networking issue on VB 5.2.18 r124319

Post by socratis »

Bridged over wireless don't always play nice. Bridged networking is outside the WLAN specification. Bridging to wireless is not really bridging. The guest shares the MAC of the host and the host does a sort of MAC-NAT translation based on IP addresses. Promiscuous mode doesn't exist in the official WLAN specifications. It may or may not work. Some combinations of Routers/Access Points, WLAN cards and drivers work, some don't. See: Bridging & Wifi - Supported hardware and add your experience. For example, it works fine in my home, but not in my office. Same laptop, same VM. Try to see if it works either with wired bridged or with NAT.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.