No sound in games Win 98SE

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
fablezim

No sound in games Win 98SE

Post by fablezim »

Hey all,

I've looked for similar posts but nothing seems to match my issue. I just downloaded VirtualBox and got Windows 98SE installed (along with the scitech drivers) and it boots wonderfully, complete with the old windows login sound effect. However, when I try to install games (I've tried Diablo 1 and Dune 2000 so far) they load without sound of any kind, no SFX or music. I'm not quite sure why this is; I am using the default SoundBlaster setting in VB and like I said I hear sound when I log in to windows, but nothing in the games.

Could anyone offer me some help? As I said I am very new at this so maybe I'm just missing a setting somewhere?
WFV
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: ArchLinux; Fedora; Ubuntu; Win7pro64; WinXP

Re: No sound in games Win 98SE

Post by WFV »

Have you tried other sound options in the Audio settings for the guest?
fablezim

Post by fablezim »

Yeah I get windows sound with the SoundBlaster 16 controller, nothing with ICH AC97, and nothing with the Intel one. The only drivers that come up are Windows DirectSound (which I am using), and Null Audio Driver, which doesn't work.

The issue only seems to be with games I try to install...
jorgensen
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, LinuxMint

Post by jorgensen »

You can use the AC97 interface, by installing the Realtek AC97 Windows 95 driver.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

fablezim wrote:and Null Audio Driver, which doesn't work.
Null Audio Driver doesn't work? You mean you do get sounds even after this "no audio" mode is selected?

If you want sound on a Windows Host, configure "Windows DirectSound" as the host audio driver. If you don't want sounds, then configure "Null Audio".

For guest "Audio Controller", choose whatever simulation your guest has drivers for. Mine uses AC'97, but I created this so long ago that I don't recall if I needed to source third party AC'97 drivers. I think Win98 did not have native AC'97 support, though Win98SE may have.
fablezim

Post by fablezim »

I tried installing the Realtek AC97 driver (required directx 8 which i also installed), then changed my controller to the ICH AC97, but I had zero sound, neither windows sounds or game sounds :(
fablezim

Post by fablezim »

Null Audio Driver doesn't work? You mean you do get sounds even after this "no audio" mode is selected?
Sorry no, Null Audio Driver does not produce sound, which I suppose means it is working correctly. I just meant then when I tried it, I had no sound. Poorly phrased haha, sorry.
jorgensen
Guest OSses: Windows, LinuxMint

Post by jorgensen »

fablezim wrote:I tried installing the Realtek AC97 driver (required directx 8 which i also installed), then changed my controller to the ICH AC97, but I had zero sound, neither windows sounds or game sounds :(
A Windows 95 driver cannot require DirextX 8 - only DirectX 2!
As stated, only the Win95 version will work!
Also your game sound is properly MIDI sound, and only AC97 support this.
fablezim

Post by fablezim »

@Jorgensen, you are a genius! Unfortunately this did not work for me in Windows 98SE as it said "Only Win95 is supported", but on my Win95 machine this works flawlessly and I now have game sound :)

Thank you so much for your help!!
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

fablezim wrote:Unfortunately this did not work for me in Windows 98SE as it said "Only Win95 is supported"
If you read the instructions about it in the thread about installing Windows 95/98 you would see that it said don't run the .exe you download from the Realtek website. Instead, you need to unzip the .exe with WinZip or 7zip and then manually point Windows 98 Device Manager at the .inf file.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
bre603

Post by bre603 »

I know this thread hasn’t been posted on in a couple years, but I thought I’d post what worked for me just in case someone has this issue in 2020 (as I did).

I followed a video tutorial to se up my Windows 98 machine on VB. During that he walks through the process of installing AC97 Sound Driver the proper way as has been described above. So, when I went to run my old games and there was no sound at all, I was at a loss. I tried going back to a Sound Blaster set up just in case that was my issue. No resolve there.

Of all the things... the solution to my problem was so simple... in the “Devices” drop down menu from the VB screen that’s running Win98, there’s an “Audio” option. Within that, you can toggle on and off your audio output/input.

So it seems, the solution is to just toggle audio output off and then back on. Works every time for me.

It’s even worked to make a game start up correctly when it was only at first loading a black screen. I’m no computer genius, so I don’t know why this works. It just does.

HOPE THIS HELPS SOMEONE OUT THERE! :)
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Thanks for the tip. :)
circlejerk69

Post by circlejerk69 »

bre603 wrote: So it seems, the solution is to just toggle audio output off and then back on. Works every time for me.
Were you able to find a more permanent solution? I find toggling the audio on/off kind of tiring, especially in a game I play (Edmark Strategy Games) where I have to re-toggle audio every time it loads (which is quite often). Anyone know a workaround?
Last edited by mpack on 26. May 2020, 10:08, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Trim excessive quoting.
bre603

Post by bre603 »

circlejerk69 wrote: Were you able to find a more permanent solution?
Unfortunately, no. I’m just playing simple games that don’t really have loading screens, so this has been fine for me. :( I’m sorry! Hopefully someone figures out something!