File size transfer limit of 4 GB?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
maxtorm

File size transfer limit of 4 GB?

Post by maxtorm »

Is there a file size transfer limit in VirtualBox? I am using version 1.6.2 (upgrading to .4 as I write this). I have a 5.6 GB file in an Ubuntu guest that I have tried transferring via network share, via external USB drive and via shared folders. No matter the method, the process always fails when 4 GB of the file has been copied.

Depending on the method, I get a variety of errors. Copying from the command line, I get a "protocol error". Copying using the nautilus drag and drop to the external hard drive says "Error writing to file: file too large". There is plenty of space in all of the targets I have attempted to use.

Can anyone shed some light?
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

See the Forum FAQ. You are using the FAT32 file system. Does not support files larger than 4 GB.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
maxtorm

Post by maxtorm »

Sorry...I should have specified. I did see the posts on FAT32, but this is definitely not the case here. The drives I am writing to are NTFS.
maxtorm

Post by maxtorm »

One further note: though the USB drive I have attached is formatted NFTS, Linux reports that it has mounted it as FAT32. That might account for the error while copying it to the USB drive (though I don't know why it would mount in this fashion). However, another method I tried was a shared folder, mounted as vboxsf, and it too failed. Presumably, the 4 GB limitation does not apply to vboxsf and the shared folder was on an NTFS-formatted drive.
Sasquatch
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows XP, Windows 7, Linux

Post by Sasquatch »

There is a reason your external drive was mounted as FAT32 and not NTFS. It's FAT32 formatted. Use sudo fdisk -l to know the file system of the disk. I'm sure it will say VFAT or similar. Force mount it with ntfs-3g if you have it installed (modern distro's have it already) and see if you get an error. It likely will.
Read the Forum Posting Guide before opening a topic.
VirtualBox FAQ: Check this before asking questions.
Online User Manual: A must read if you want to know what we're talking about.
Howto: Install Linux Guest Additions
Howto: Use Shared Folders on Linux Guest
See the Tutorials and FAQ section at the top of the Forum for more guides.
Try searching the forums first with Google and add the site filter for this forum.
E.g. install guest additions site:forums.virtualbox.org

Retired from this Forum since OSSO introduction.
maxtorm

Post by maxtorm »

I'm sure this come as no surprise, but you're right. I don't get it. I could swear I ran a "convert" on that drive just last week because I had a file that I could not copy to it (completely unrelated to VirtualBox). Too weird. Thanks for your patience.