Error E_FAIL (0x80004005)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Delightoo

Error E_FAIL (0x80004005)

Post by Delightoo »

I have this error in the title, so i don't know what to do :/

The VBoxHardening log file is in attach file comment.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.rar
(7.92 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Error E_FAIL (0x80004005)

Post by andyp73 »

Start by reading Tutorial: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues. That is only guidance as only you know what is installed on your computer but I would start by uninstalling Avast or adding an exception for the VirtualBox directory to get Avast to ignore it.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
MasterHaxor

Post by MasterHaxor »

Hi!

I'm having the exact same issue! It tells me that "VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX)." and gives me "E_FAIL (0x80004005)". I used virtualbox just a month ago and all was fine.. Went through the troubleshooting site as you suggested, uinstalling avast, checking that Hyper-V was disabled etc. I don't know where to go from here, maybe my motherboard vendor messed up their new bios? I'm attaching my hardening.log in case you can spot anything :)
Attachments
VBoxHardening.7z
(17.42 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

That is NOT the same problem. Your hardening log ends in an error code of zero - meaning you have no error and no hardening problem.

Please start your own topic and provide the correct log, i.e. VBox.log. At first glance your problem seems obvious - you either don't have VT-x or something else is using it. See FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests.