VBox 5.2.x on Windows 10 (as Host)?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ohaya@yahoo.com

VBox 5.2.x on Windows 10 (as Host)?

Post by ohaya@yahoo.com »

Hi,

My apologies in advance, but this is going to be a somewhat vague question: I have been using Vbox for awhile (I archive the installation and so I know it is at least since 5.1.4.x), on Win7 64 bit and now on Win10 64 bit, and I had been previously updating it regularly, usually maybe a couple of weeks after I would get the notifications about new versions, and I always update the extensions pack at the same time I update Vbox itself. I have numerous guests, mostly various Windows versions and CENTOS versions.

Anyway, so when 5.2.x versions started appearing, I updated from 5.1.28 to 5.2.x. That was awhile ago (my archives show 5.2.6 in 2/2018), and I *think* I had some problems after updating (I think I tried 5.2.6, then later 5.2.12, according to the files I have archived), but I don't remember specifically what those problems were, so, I ending up going back to 5.1.28 and have been on that now (on two different Win10 64 host machines).

I have continued to download the 5.2.x versions, including the 5.2.18 one, but I have hesitated to actually update my Vbox installations to 5.2.x, so I was wondering, in general, if the current 5.2.x version (5.2.18) is ok now?

Sorry again for the vague question.

Later,
Jim
ohaya@yahoo.com

Re: VBox 5.2.x on Windows 10 (as Host)?

Hi,

Sorry - I forgot to also mention that:

- I usually access the Windows 10 host via Windows RDP (mstsc) because the machine I run the Vbox on is in another part of my house.
- I usually start the guests under that Vbox as headless, and then RDP directly to each guest (all guests run with bridged networking). I usually only RDP to the HOST itself to start the guests in the Vbox GUI).

EDIT: I am aware of VboxHeadlessTray, but don't use it anymore...
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

ohaya@yahoo.com wrote:this is going to be a somewhat vague question ... ... ... ... the current 5.2.x version (5.2.18) is ok now?
Yes.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ohaya@yahoo.com

Hi,

Thanks. Sorry for the vague description. I have a new WIndows 10 laptop so I will try the latest Vbox version on it to see how it works.

Jim
Rootman

Post by Rootman »

I find the 5.2.18 just fine. However I am a huge proponent of backups before making a change like this.

I would invest in a backup solution like Macrium Reflect and a portable media to back up to. Install the backup solution and create the rescue media. Back up the host before installing new software you are questioning. Install the new software and test it out. If it all goes to heck then restore from the backup if you can't easily roll the software back.

I keep separate data and OS partitions and backup only the OS using a backup software, I back up the data using a sync tool.

More than once I installed something (thankfully never Vbox) and had it hose my system. IN the space of half an hour I can get the system back to the last backup. I backup all my OSs weekly.