[Resolved] Rescue files system in a virtual guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
garmanyj

[Resolved] Rescue files system in a virtual guest

Post by garmanyj »

I have a system.img file from an Oracle VM server 2.2.0. I am trying to open it in virtualbox as my server died. I got past the boot issue and entered the rescue mode using oracle 5U7 linux. Before booting I attached the system.img file that had to be changed to a iso file to get past the boot issue. Oracle 5U7 booted into rescue mode but found no files system other than its own. I need some of the files but can not seem to get them. Is there anyway I can find the files? I have tried CENTOS live cd but it did not find the file either.

Would it help to change the img/iso into a vdi?
Attachments
convert-2018-08-31-11-56-30.log
I did upload the logfile.
(69.39 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Last edited by socratis on 16. Sep 2018, 00:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Rescue files system in a virtual guest

Post by socratis »

garmanyj wrote:Would it help to change the img/iso into a vdi?
You can change it to MP3 or AVI, it doesn't change its contents or how it can be accessed; it won't make it a song or a movie. Just because you named the IMG to an ISO, doesn't make it a valid ISO.

The question is what kind of contents does this contain, how was it created and what application can read it.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
garmanyj

Post by garmanyj »

It was created using Oracle VM Server 2.2.0. It contains part of a databases.I have backup going back 2 years but the control files have been deleted. BAD news for an oracle DBA. There is also a full datapump export sitting in the datapump directory. It mostly ran APEX.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm afraid that my answers remains the same. How you access the data created from a specific application is not something that you'd ask Acer/Apple/Dell/HP/Lenovo/etc., is it?

This IMG is something that you were going to use with an application (most probably the one that created it?) to restore the data. Well, you've got to install an operating system, probably the one that you took the IMG from, and use the procedures that you had in place to restore the data.

That's not something that VirtualBox deals with. VirtualBox provides the "hardware", not the OS or the applications.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
garmanyj

Post by garmanyj »

Socratis YOU ARE THE BOMB (my kid tells me it is good to be the bomb).

I converted the img to a vdi and started the VM. Was not paying much attention because I did not expect it to work. I looked up and there was my file system looking back at me. YESI recovered everthing I needed.

Thank you SO Much!!!!
John
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Glad I could help. Marking as [Resolved].