only showing 32-bit options

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
elaynak

only showing 32-bit options

Post by elaynak »

Hello,

I downloaded the VirtualBox (latest version 5.2.18 for windows) so I could run Ubuntu from it, following the directions from linus.nci.nih.gov/bdge/installUbuntu.html. I installed the latest version of Ubuntu (18.04.1-desktop-amd64 iso) and followed the steps provided. However, I get an error message that states kernel requires an x86-64 cpu detected i686. In the drop down menu for the Virtual Machine, the only options are 32-bit. I believe this is what is causing the error since the version of Ubuntu I downloaded is 64-bit and I am operating off a 64-bit windows computer. Is there a specific version of VirtualBox or Ubuntu I should be using to allow for the 64-bit or to correct this issue? Thank you!

-Elayna K.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: only showing 32-bit options

Post by socratis »

Please go thoroughly through the FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests. Remember that these are just guidelines, you have to use your judgement...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
CyberNewbie

Re: only showing 32-bit options

Post by CyberNewbie »

I ran into this problem as well.
You have to go through your BIOS and enable your Virtual desktop setting.

Also If you have a Hype-V file you will need to turn that off or uncheck it.