How do I install virtualbox in an external HD?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Stanbox

How do I install virtualbox in an external HD?

Post by Stanbox »

I apologize if I am creating this thread in the wrong segment, I have an external HD with about 150gb free and I would like to run my virtualbox from the external HD, however I don't know if this is possible, can anyone tell me how to go about this? thanks all.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: How do I install virtualbox in an external HD?

Post by socratis »

Do you want to run VirtualBox from an external HD, which takes only a few MB? Or do you want to store your VMs that take multi-GB of space to the external HD? Because the latter is easy, you just change the Default Machine Folder in the VirtualBox Preferences » General.

On the other hand, if you think that you can simply have a hard drive that you carry with you, and you can plug it in to any computer, and you start using VirtualBox? Forget about it. VirtualBox is a low-level program that needs to install kernel driversfor your underlying hardware. It's not a Portable Firefox, Portable Notepad++ or Portable <anything> like that. It has to be installed, with Admin rights on each and every computer.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Stanbox

Post by Stanbox »

Thanks for replying, Yes, I want to be able to run virtualbox from an external HD, is it possible?
Last edited by socratis on 19. Aug 2018, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You didn't read my reply, did you? No you can't run a "portable" VirtualBox.

And BTW, you didn't even read my signature, the 2nd line, right? ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Stanbox

Post by Stanbox »

socratis wrote:You didn't read my reply, did you? No you can't run a "portable" VirtualBox.

And BTW, you didn't even read my signature, the 2nd line, right? ;)
Sorry about that.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

:shock: :lol:
Without any further comment...