Update to VBOX 5.2.18-124319 Crashed all my vm's

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Froto

Update to VBOX 5.2.18-124319 Crashed all my vm's

Post by Froto »

Hello - I am running a fully patched Win 10 64bit OS. Hyper-V is no enabled or used. Bios is set correctly. All settings are in place. Updated to VBOX 5.2.18-124319, and none of my VM's will run now. All have the error message:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Kali-Linux-2018.2-vbox-amd64.

VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

I have researched the error, and nothing works. I have reinstalled all items, checked and unchecked. Please advise...
UPDATE: I did try to RESTORE to a prior version of Win 10 in case there was something in the update that affected Hyper-V relationship with VBOX. No luck...getting frustrated...almost to a point where I would use Hyper-V...
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Update to VBOX 5.2.18-124319 Crashed all my vm's

Post by socratis »

Please read really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues for some generic guidelines/ideas. Remember, these are guidelines, not the exact solution, you have to use your judgement as to which program might be responsible...

After making 110% sure that Hyper-V is disabled in the Windows Features, you might want to make sure that Fast Boot is disabled and do a cold boot (i.e. shut down the host for a minute or two). You also must make sure that nothing else is using Hyper-V, things like antivirus, debuggers, emulators, etc.

Here's a rather big laundry list of things to try: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17741#comment:9 and viewtopic.php?f=6&t=75274&p=421946#p421946

And finally, read the Microsoft article on Credential Guard: Manage Windows Defender Credential Guard.

Yes, it's not easy to tell who might be using Hyper-V. I (we all) wish it was...
Froto wrote:getting frustrated...almost to a point where I would use Hyper-V...
Nobody here can (or will try to) prevent you from doing that, so I'm not even sure why you're bringing it up...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.