Fatal Error - Could not read from boot medium!

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
xHorus

Post by xHorus »

I've looked around but all the threads for this are either outdated or different.

Host: Win10

I am trying to load a Linux system (Debian 32 bit) into Virtualbox, otherwise known as Kali. I have added the .iso file containing the operating system as a virtual hard disk or whatever the exact name for it is called into the VM, but no matter what I try it simply won't "read from the medium". I would appreciate some help with this, in any form.

Attached is a picture of the current "setup", with the storage settings and main screen included.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Fatal Error - Could not read from boot medium!

Post by BillG »

No, you did not attach a picture.

You do not attach the ISO as a .vdi file. It is an image of a CD/DVD. You attach it to the optical drive of the vm. If you do that the vm will boot from it and install the OS.
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Fatal Error - Could not read from boot medium!

Post by socratis »

I just replied to another "similar" post (hey BillG again ;)), so I'm going to refer you to that one on what to do to select your ISO: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=89141&p=427430#p427430

Also, the "First Time Wizard" should have taken care of that and should have asked you at the beginning of the 1st VM run. That means that you didn't simply create the VM and tried to start it, but you went in the Settings and changed them.

I honestly don't understand the tendency these days to not trust the proposed template defaults. It seems that everyone knows better... :roll:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.