64-bit Ubuntu Guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Tinker76

64-bit Ubuntu Guest

Post by Tinker76 »

VirtualBox-5.2.18-124319-Win on Windows 10
I wish to install Ubuntu-18.04.1-desktop-amd64
But under New - Create Virtual Machine - Type Linux - Version
The only alternatives are all 32 bit.

I have verified that my computer is:
Intel Pentium CPU G3220 3.0GHZ 8.GB
64-bit operating system x64 based processor.

Have I overlooked something?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: 64-bit Ubuntu Guest

Post by socratis »

Please go thoroughly through the FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests. Remember that these are just guidelines, you have to use your judgement...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
madduck

Post by madduck »

I am having a similar issue with a windows 10 x64 system, trying to set up a Win 7 x64 vm. I've tried the guidelines in the link above to no avail. Any other guidance would be greatly appreciated.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

madduck wrote:I've tried the guidelines
"guidelines"... That's the key word. It's *not* an exact solution, because no one except you can know what you might possibly have installed on your computer. It's you, and only you, that's got to figure out what might be conflicting.

Start uninstalling potential conflicting applications. Don't ask me which ones. For example, Firefox or Notepad++ are not conflicting, because (so far) they don't need the hardware acceleration features...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.