how do i load windows into my new virtual hard drive?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Brookus

how do i load windows into my new virtual hard drive?

Post by Brookus »

I am sorry but I can't find the answer to this question in any help file.
Should I simply put the windows disk into the machine and then start up my computer?

Thanks. :D
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: how do i load windows into my new virtual hard drive?

Post by BillG »

Yes and no. The virtual machine has its own emulated CD drive. It does not automatically read the host's physical CD/DVD drive.

Normally when you download the installation media for as OS it is a ISO image file. If you have this you simply assign that file to the optical drive of the vm. If you have the installation media on a physical disk, load it to the physical drive of the host and tell the vm to use this drive. You can do this from the settings of the vm.
Host Drive.PNG
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: how do i load windows into my new virtual hard drive?

Post by socratis »

BillG, your screenshot was cut off at the right-hand side, the most interesting part! :D
Let me re-use some old attachments from previous posts. You have two options:

1. From the VM Settings » Storage:
2. From the VM Details:
@Brookus
As you can see in both options, you can select a "Disk Image", or the "Host Drive". If you downloaded as ISO, as BillG pointed out, use that. Select "Disk Image" and a prompt will allow you to select your ISO. Just remember to eject it after the installation, otherwise you're going to keep on booting from that ISO.

If you have a physical CD/DVD, you could choose the "Host Drive", but 1) it's going to be slower, 2) if you want to repeat the process (due to a mistake perhaps), it's going to be even slower. I would suggest to convert your physical CD to an ISO, and then use the ISO as directed in the previous paragraph.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.