Use of USB WIFI dongle on guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
C@ctus

Use of USB WIFI dongle on guest

Post by C@ctus »

Good morning,
I have searched the forum but was not successful finding a reply to my question:
I am running a Ubuntu guest over a Windows 10 host. I am considering using a wi-fi dongle with my guest OS while the host OS would still use the cable network.
Is it something possible ? How do I make this complex setup ?
Thanks by advance if you can help.
Stephan
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Use of USB WIFI dongle on guest

Post by mpack »

Yes, VMs have the ability to use USB devices. However there can be no guarantees that the drivers for a particular device will be happy to work in a VM. You have to try it for yourself.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

C@ctus wrote:wi-fi dongle with my guest OS while the host OS would still use the cable network
You do not have to set up any network cards in the VM if you don't want to, and if you do, avoid NAT, NATservice and Bridged. That is, you could use HostOnly and Internal, if you wanted to.

At the same time you setup a USB filter (see USB basics and troubleshooting) and you plug the USB-WiFi adapter only after the VM has started, so that the host won't grab it first.

And of course the native (to the VM) drivers for your USB-WiFi adapter, as mpack mentioned. That's all...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
C@ctus

Post by C@ctus »

Hi,
Thank you for the detailed replies.
I'll give it a try soon.
Regards.
Rootman

Post by Rootman »

I have setup more than one host like you say.

Although, I just setup the host on the second USB NIC. When setting up the guest I set it up and bind the guests nic(s) to the USB NIC on the host. I do this so that the guest can be on a separate LAN than the host. For my HOST I have it's internal NIC bound first so that it is on my MAIN LAN, the HOST's USB NIC then binds to the LAN I want the guests to be on.