USB captured all USB flash device

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Hemdan

USB captured all USB flash device

Post by Hemdan »

Hi ,
i have 2 USB flash intent device from same internet provider ,
when i try to use one of then in VM its captured both of the two USB as long they have same name although they have different SN .
i am using MS windows 10 and last update in VB .
now i can't use intent USB in my Host and VM in same time ,

any help to let the VB know the different ,i try to make filter but its not working .

thanks for any help
Hemdan

Re: USB captured all USB flash device

Post by Hemdan »

Hi ,
i found now ,the both USB have same SN ,its very hard to me to solve this problem .
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Hemdan wrote:i can't use intent USB in my Host and VM in same time
You can forget about sharing the USB device. USB devices can *not* be shared. It's either your host *or* your guest, never both.

What kind of a USB device is that? A telecom USB? Like a 3G or a 4G stick for internet?

Please read the following thread: USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts. If you still have a problem after reading through the whole thing, please follow the advice of the last post, #8: Asking for help and post the information requested.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

USB connections are one to one. However USB flash drives can be accessed as shared folders, just like other kinds of host drive. That's the only way that the device can be used by the host and one or more VMs at the same time.

In fact this is precisely what shared folders are for.