USB 3 Programming Update Since 5.2.6???

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Jovial_Jack

USB 3 Programming Update Since 5.2.6???

Post by Jovial_Jack »

Thanks for all you guys do.

I ask about the USB 3 development because USB 3 worked rock solid on 5.2.6 with a Dell M4700 notebook with Win10 1803 on it and Intel USB 3 eXtensiable Host Controller -1.0 (Microsoft) 4/10/2018 driver.

Since bumping Virtualbox and it's extension pack to 5.2.18 USB 3 transfers appear to be getting corrupted. Acronis 2018 Linux boot disc does it's backups in full yet flags the backups as corrupted when initiating a restore effort. Mouse/Keyboard integration doesn't work with Acronis 2018 WinPE boot disc w/ 5.2.18 even though I'm pretty sure it worked with 5.2.6.

As soon as I switch the same drives to the USB 2 ports on the PC and vBox to USB 2 all works as expected except slow as molasses of course. The USB 3 items work like a champ on the host OS.

I ask because I saw the release notes for 5.2.14 stating "USB: Fixed a problem where the emulated xHCI device under very rare circumstances failed to report an empty isochronous transfer ring error, causing the transfers on the corresponding endpoint to stop."

Though their have been a half dozen USB threads posted since the 12th, I don't see any that drill down to USB 3 being root of the problem.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: USB 3 Programming Update Since 5.2.6???

Post by socratis »

Jovial_Jack wrote:Mouse/Keyboard integration doesn't work with Acronis 2018 WinPE boot disc w/ 5.2.18
The ExtPack (which provides the USB2/3 support) has absolutely nothing to do with the mouse/keyboard integration.
Jovial_Jack wrote:Since bumping Virtualbox and it's extension pack to 5.2.18 USB 3 transfers appear to be getting corrupted.
Try to download to 5.2.6. See if the problem goes away. Then, I would try to bisect[1] when (if) the difference in the behavior started happening. So, try next with 5.2.12. If there is no error, try 5.2.16 or 5.2.14. If there is an error, try 5.2.8 or 5.2.10. And so on, and so on, until you find the two versions of VirtualBox where you started seeing this weird behavior.

[1]: Basically cutting in half the "distance" between the working/non-working versions.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.