Unable to access USB drives from Linux guest Ubuntu18.04.1(Win10 host) busy with a previous request

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
rajesgun

Unable to access USB drives from Linux guest Ubuntu18.04.1(Win10 host) busy with a previous request

Post by rajesgun »

On manual connection attempt, get the below error.
Failed to attach the USB device Generic USB3.0 Card Reader [1532] to the virutal machine Ubuntu.1804.25GB

USB device 'Generic USB3.0 Card Reader' with UUID {hex values} is busy with a previous request. Please try again later.
Result Code E_INVALIDARG(0X80070057)
Component : HostUSBDeviceWrap
Interface: IHostUSBDevice{hex values}
Calee: IConsole {hex values}
The device which is connected is a RockeTek USB SD card reader. This works fine with Windows 10 Host, but cant get it accessible from Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS

This is the same behaviour with other USB flash drives (USB 2.0 and 3.0)

All of these USB devices are working well with Windows 10.

tool tip onthe task bar -> usb -> Generic card usb reader ->
Vendor ID 05E3
Product ID 0749
Revision 1532
Serial No 00000001532
Status Captured
lsusb =>
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 80ee:0021 VirtualBox USB Tablet
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
dmesg | grep -i usb => returns nothing specific to this device

BTW :- tried the troubleshooting section of this topic 'USB basics and troubleshooting' but still not working ...
Attachments
VBoxSVC.log
(6.4 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Last edited by socratis on 16. Aug 2018, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote] tag for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Unable to access USB drives from Linux guest Ubuntu18.04.1(Win10 host) busy with a previous requ

Post by socratis »

rajesgun wrote:tried the troubleshooting section of this topic 'USB basics and troubleshooting' but still not working ...
OK, then follow the advice of the last post, #8: Asking for help and post the information requested.

BTW, "I tried the troubleshooting section" doesn't actually describe what you did or didn't do. Please go into the details of what exactly you tried. Did you try to look for services that capture the card for example?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
rajesgun

Re: Unable to access USB drives from Linux guest Ubuntu18.04.1(Win10 host) busy with a previous requ

Post by rajesgun »

Thanks for the quick response @socratis

I had Wireshark installed with USB cap, but on uninstall it is still not accesible from the Ubuntu.

I have now attached all the information requested as pre-requiste to investigate this issue.
virtualbox_usb_reader_issue_2.txt
all the additional information needed
(10.4 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
VBox log here
Ubuntu.1804.25GB-2018-08-16-18-59-09.log.zip
Vbox.log
(34.3 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Please let me know if you need further information
rajesgun

Post by rajesgun »

#7: Troubleshooting
Shutdown your guest from within your guest, normal shutdown. Shutdown your host. Reboot your host. Relaunch your guest. This has helped at times, to have a clean start of both host and guest.
Tried this
If the device shows up in your host and is not captured by the filter, either the filter is incorrect, or there might be a problem with your filter installation. For example you may have a blank filter, or a narrowly defined filter (too many conditionals).
No filter or least filter or full filter - tried this
If the device shows up, but as "Unavailable", eject it from your host (if you can), but leave it plugged in. It should show up as available.
Tried this
Do you have the VendorID and DeviceID correct? On Linux hosts, check the output of "lsusb". On Mac hosts, check the "System Information". On Windows hosts, check the device manager, or get USBDeview, or USBView, or UsbTreeView.
Tried this - used USB Device Tree Viewer V3.1.7 and the values of this matches the on i get from the add filter from Virtual box
If you're using a USB3 device, make sure that both your host and your guest support USB3. And of course you have to be using the 5.x.x series of VirtualBox. If you plug a USB3 device into a USB3 port then it will only work with VirtualBox > 5, as that's when VirtualBox introduced a virtual xHCI controller.
Yes - this is the case both host and guest supports USB3, and my device is USB3 too. All the ports are USB3 ports in the laptop.
If on a Linux host, are you a member of the 'vboxusers' group? If not, add yourself with the following command and then reboot your host, or logout and login to activate the change in group membership:
yes im a member of vbousers group, and tried this

Code: Select all

sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers <your_username>
If on Windows host, check that the VirtualBox USB Driver is installed in your host. Make sure your host didn't silently reject non-MS drivers (Google for Driver Signature Enforcement). Usually a re-installation of VirtualBox with the "right-click on the installer & Run-as-Administrator" trick, fixes this.
uses the windows driver, there is no driver from manufacturer
If on a Windows host, check out these Windows-specific ways to troubleshoot potential driver installation issues:
USB not working
SOLVED: Failed to access the USB subsystem on Windows 7 host
Remove Driver Filters to Resolve Device Manager Errors on Windows 7
it works fine with Win10, it is only fails to mount/open in the linux guest
Last edited by socratis on 17. Aug 2018, 06:39, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Please re-read twice the USB basics and troubleshooting thread. Again. Then, I would like some answers to the following questions:
  • Are you trying the on-the-fly or the filter method to capture the device. Did you try both?
  • What "category" does your device belong to?
  • Is your device an internal one or an external one?
    • If it's an external, did you create a filter?
    • If it's an internal, did you figure out which service is using it and won't let go?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
rajesgun

Post by rajesgun »

Are you trying the on-the-fly or the filter method to capture the device. Did you try both?
on-the-fly and i tried filer method as well, both did not work - same error
What "category" does your device belong to?
it is a USB mass storage device, i tried USB flash drives 2.0 and 3.0, USB SD card reader which mounts the SD card as a storage drive
Is your device an internal one or an external one?
If it's an external, did you create a filter?
If it's an internal, did you figure out which service is using it and won't let go?
it is internal powered device, no it is supposed to detect as USB mass storage and mount it automatically.
It works well with windows host,
i tried to unmount in the windows and tried to access it in guest
keep it mounted and tried to access it in guest
- both did not work
Last edited by socratis on 17. Aug 2018, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

What are you going the complex USB route? Why not simply access the storage device as a shared folder?
rajesgun

Post by rajesgun »

i need to access the SD card as a device in Linux and an automation script will write bootloader, firmware etc for a development board hence i need this to be accessed as a device.
rajesgun

Post by rajesgun »

I have now done an additional investigation in which, i installed virtual box on old Laptop with USB2.0 and USB3.0 hardware usb ports.
With the Latest Virtual box and Ubuntu 16.04.5 i can see USB2 flash drive is mountable via USB2.0 port works as expected, where as if u plug a USB3.0 flash drive on a USB3.0 port it fails with same error.