VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Boettgerie

VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX)

Post by Boettgerie »

Hi All,

I know that this issue has been addressed several times, but I think my issue is a bit different.

I am running Virtualbox with several VMs in my Windows 10 Home Edition since a long time. Now I suddenly receive the following message: VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).

Hype-V is not available on Windows 10 Home, so, why is it suddenly not working and what could I check? Is TPM responsible for that? What could cause this behavioural change?

Many thanks and kindest regards,
Heiko
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX)

Post by mpack »

Please post a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip, and attach the zip here.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Boettgerie wrote:I know that this issue has been addressed several times, but I think my issue is a bit different.
Nope. Your issue is exactly the same as everyone else's; something has grabbed VT-x and won't let go. It's not necessarily Hyper-V, at least not directly.
Boettgerie wrote:what could I check?
Please read really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues for some generic guidelines/ideas. Remember, these are guidelines, not the exact solution, you have to use your judgement as to which program might be responsible...
Boettgerie wrote:What could cause this behavioural change?
An update antivirus engine could definitely be causing such an issue, by activating the "hardware enabled accelerated scanning" (or something like that). So, in addition to the log that mpack asked for, I'd like to see a ZIPPED version of the VBoxHardening.log, located in the same place as the VBox.log that mpack directed you to.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Gbonti

Post by Gbonti »

Good day,

I am using a Windows 10 Home 64 bit, My VMs gave this notification:
VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
shortly after I installed this link:
firefox/addon/ublock-origin/ (I have since deleted this)

and on Kali VM, I also tried to install this link on Nmap:
apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade (This took forever to install i cancelled)

I have searched and use every available suggestions i could find on google, I thought the issue was with VT-x but VT-x is on in BIOS, I wrote to the the computer manufacturer they sent me this link to this community

I tried everything it suggested to no avail hence am here. Find attached are documents for your kind perusal. Please help.

Regards
Gbonti.
Attachments
Kali-Linux-2018.2-vbox-amd64-2018-08-24-13-19-43.log
(38.84 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

In your case VT-x is required because you allocated >1 vCPUs to the VM. Unfortunately you have not told us what your CPU is, and the log terminates without reporting the CPU type (*). However the wording of the error message is "VT-x is not available", meaning - just as in in the case above - that it is not enabled in the BIOS, or something else is using it.

(*) The DMI information seems to indicate an Asus laptop with an i3, i5 or i7 Intel processor. All of which support VT-x.
Gbonti

Post by Gbonti »

Thanks Mpack for your prompt response well appreciated, the CPU is

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz, 2904 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

VT-x is enabled in BIOS, in trying to tackle this problem I had to write to the system manufactures, that VT-x although is enabled in BIOS is not working below is the message they sent me:

Thank you for contacting Asus support
This error seems to be unrelated to VT-x
We would advise to check with the software vendors or check here, as they seemed to resolve the issue
viewtopic.php?t=33196

I did try everything i saw in the forum on the link to no avail hence i joined and posted my frustration on this issue.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Gbonti wrote:I had to write to the system manufactures, that VT-x although is enabled in BIOS is not working
Who said anything about "not working". The whole idea is that it's "not available". And not available means that something else is using it, if you're certain that you've enabled it in the BIOS.

Please read the thread again. There's a link for you to read and I don't want to be duplicating information that's already posted in the same thread...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Please clarify: did you enable VT-x in the BIOS, or was it already enabled by default?

If you enabled it, did you remember to completely power down your laptop (not suspend), and restart? Even removing the battery is not excessive to ensure a full power down. This is the only way to be sure that the CPU is restarted in the new mode.

The fact remains: the only way VT-x can be unavailable is if something else is using it. Unfortunately you are the one with access to your PC, so you have to be the one to discover or guess what the something else is. The FAQ suggests likely candidates.
Gbonti

Post by Gbonti »

VT-x was enabled by default. I noticed this problem about 17 days ago and had been trying to fix it. I did go on BIOS disabled and enabled it, turned power off completely.
I read something you put up I think on investigating Hardening I cant really recall, however, I uninstalled my antivirus, uninstalled virtual box and VMs, reinstalled but the same problem persisted. now I went into installed programs and saw that there is something called MIXED REALITY VIEWER, which was installed just about the same time the problem started, I tried to uninstall this program but it would not allow me, even went in to terminate it but it would not. This program I presume is inbuilt and cannot be uninstalled by default, however I remembered I did a systems update which may have activated this, so if this is the case, what relevance is MIXED REALITY VIEWER? and how do I get rid of it. Thanks
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Mixed Reality Viewer is one the toys Microsoft occasionally bundles in a Win10 update in an effort to grab a portion of some market, in this case the 3D viewer market. I doubt that it has any use for VT-x. In any case I've had that on my PC since the fall creators update, and it doesn't interfere with VirtualBox. The things that interfere with VirtualBox are mentioned in the FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests.

The cause is very likely a Windows feature which was enabled at about the time of the failure, just not that feature.
Gbonti

Post by Gbonti »

If anybody is facing similar persistent problem on Windows 10 Home pls follow this simple instruction:

go to http://www.microsoft.com
search; FALL CREATORS UPDATE
>General information : fall creators update
>How to get the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update
>2. Manually update for advanced users
>Click on Software Download site
>Click on Download Tools now.
then chose how you want this update either to save your existing files and apps.

For me I started a-fresh.