[Resolved] Un-ejectable USB device not captured after host reboot

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ara01

[Resolved] Un-ejectable USB device not captured after host reboot

Post by ara01 »

Hello together,

Host: Windows 10 Pro 64bit 1803
Virtualbox 5.2.18 r124319 + Extension Pack

Guest: Windows XP SP3 32bit + Guest Additions
USB 2.0 configured

When I connect the USB device to the PC, it would be captured in Windows XP (by filter) and all works fine. In some cases (e.g. after an automatic update on Win 10 or after reboot the host) the USB device is disconnected, shown in the device manager (host) as unknown device and it will not be automatic captured to the guest. On the host it's an unknown device, because there are no drivers installed.

When I reconnect the USB device to the PC it will be automatic captured to the guest and after some seconds all works fine. Also when I deactivate and activate the unknown USB device in the device manager on host (win 10) it disappears in the device manager and automatic connect in guest.

I have deactivated all USB energy saving options on host and guest.

Any ideas?
Last edited by socratis on 21. Aug 2018, 16:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Un-ejectable USB device not captured after host reboot

Post by socratis »

You need to remove (physically) and re-insert the USB device. That's how it has to work unfortunately...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ara01

Post by ara01 »

When the problem occurs and I reboot the guest system, nothing happens (the usb device not captured to the guest). why?

Why the virtualbox don't recognize the connected USB device? Only after reconnect or disable/enable?

Is this a known issue on Windows 10 hosts?

Thank you!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

ara01 wrote:When the problem occurs and I reboot the guest system, nothing happens (the usb device not captured to the guest). why?
Because the filter works at the device insertion. Only. That's the way that it works, its modus operandi.

When a device is inserted, the VirtualBox filter checks if a running VM, with an enabled filter wants it. If not, it doesn't do anything, it simply lets the host OS take care of it. When you simply reboot your guest, the filter doesn't even get activated. The USB device is already in the hands of the host. You need to physically eject/insert the device for the filter to kick in.
ara01 wrote:Is this a known issue on Windows 10 hosts?
This is not a "known issue", it's the way that the whole operation works. It's not a Windows only logic, that's how the USB filter works on every platform.

I hope it's clearer now...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ara01

Post by ara01 »

Thank you for the detailed informations!!

Problem solved!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Glad I could help. Marking as [Resolved].