Nested virtualization when starting VM stuck at 0%

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Mitchy

Nested virtualization when starting VM stuck at 0%

Post by Mitchy »

Hello.

First thank you very much for taking the time to open this thread and read it, any assistance is greatly appreciated, I have hit a brick wall with trying to solve these problems as the majority of use cases I can find with similar problems are being operated within linux operating systems and the troubleshooting steps people are using for Linux is hard to adapt to windows.

I am studying nested virtualization for University and we are attempting to run Virtual Box within a VMware windows host, when I attempt to run oracle from within the VMware VM it goes to starting 0% then no longer works and often freezes the VM it will run within. When running Virtual Box directly upon the host not within a VM it functions correctly. I am hoping somebody might have the time to help me.

I am very confused why I can run VMS directly upon host but when using oracle nested within VMware it will not work, I have tested it on a ThinkStation desktop with 6700 intel cpu at university and it appears to work correctly, is it possible that the 8700 k is the problem?

Some time tonight or tomorrow I will be using nested virtualization with ESX/vsphere/vcenter, I will update this thread on if nested virtualization works within other applications to isolate if it is an incompatible hardware issue that is spread across multiple vendors software.

The system I am running this on is the following.

8700k OC 5ghz.
32 GB 3200 MHZ DDR4 RAM.
Z370 chipset board. (Gaming aorus 5)
250 GB SSD + 4 x internal 3.5" HDD.
AMD 290X GPU
Networking is done via the ethernet ports which I believe is using Intel Ethernet adapter drivers.

The troubleshooting steps I have taken so far.

Enabling/Disabling VT-d on motherboard.
Enabling I/O APIC within virtual box.
Enabling PAE/NX within virtual box.
Enabling VT-x and nested paging in virtual box.

Is it possible that having VT-d on motherboard (can't find VT-x option) is the cause of this problem?

Thank you to everyone for reading this and for any help, assistance or knowledge.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Nested virtualization when starting VM stuck at 0%

Post by BillG »

Nested virtualization is not supported in VirtualBox. It may or may not work.

The main problem with nested virtualization is passing things like hardware virtualization (ie VT-x for Intel) through to the vm which is acting as the host for the second stage of virtualization. Without that, lots of things fail in the nested vm.

I am not aware of VT-d having any effect on virtualization, nested or otherwise. VT-x and SLAT (nested paging) certainly do.
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Nested virtualization when starting VM stuck at 0%

Post by socratis »

Mitchy wrote:Is it possible that having VT-d on motherboard (can't find VT-x option) is the cause of this problem?
VT-d affects only the PCI passthrough, AFAIK. VT-x can have different names, look for "hardware virtualization" or something similar. It may not even be there and simply enabled.

If you can run VirtualBox (stand-alone), and you can create a 64-bit guest, or a multi-CPU guest, then VT-x is enabled and available.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.