Losing LAN daily on Linux VM, must restart Win Host to get it back

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
FuriousGeorge

Losing LAN daily on Linux VM, must restart Win Host to get it back

Post by FuriousGeorge »

Hi.

I'm running a CentOs based distro inside a Window 10 based VM.

I've attached my VM log, Vbox Log, VM Conf, and Vbox Conf files to this message.

The problem I'm having is that around once a day, I loose my LAN connection. Although I can still SSH into the VM, once inside the VM I have no DNS, and I can't ping WAN or LAN IPs. Nothing I've tried resolves the problem, except restarting the host.

At first I thought the issue was my ISP, as I saw some odd IPv6 addresses in my asterisk console the instant that happened. My /etc/resolv.conf file pointed to my gateway, so I changed it to point to 8.8.8.8. However, the next day, I had the same problem.

I saw a link-local network set in /etc/networks. I'm not sure if this is the work of my distro or vbox, but I commented it out, and am waiting, without much hope, to see if that improves things. I doubt that anything I do in the VM will resolve the issue, as the fact that restarting the host resolves the problem seems to indicate that there is something wrong on the host side, to me.

This was not an issue when the system was first put in. I have been away from it for a few months, and I don't know when it started, or what changed around the time that it began.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Attachments
confs_and_logs.7z
(22.53 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Losing LAN daily on Linux VM, must restart Win Host to get it back

Post by socratis »

FuriousGeorge wrote:I'm running a CentOs based distro inside a Window 10 based VM.
That sounds like you have a Win10 VM and you are running CentOS on top of that. ;)
You should have stated it a little bit differently:
I'm running a CentOs based distro VM on a Windows 10 host.
No harm done, but it takes away the confusion ;)
FuriousGeorge wrote:I've attached my VM log, Vbox Log, VM Conf, and Vbox Conf files to this message.
Thanks for ZIPPING the logs, but why did you include two identical copies of the "VirtualBox.xml" and the "AsteriskNOW.vbox" files?
VirtualBox VM 5.2.8 r121009 win.amd64 (Feb 26 2018 15:44:39) release log
That's an older version of VirtualBox, you should update to the latest, 5.2.18 as of this writing.

Your logs and VM recipe show nothing out of the ordinary. No indication that something is going wrong. Have you looked at your host's logs? What are the power savings settings? Is your host by any chance putting the device into sleep mode and that fails to reinitialize properly?

As far as VirtualBox goes, everything seems properly setup...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.