Unable to launch virtual machine

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Tom G (CS)

Unable to launch virtual machine

Post by Tom G (CS) »

Hi,

I am getting an error when I try to launch some of the VMs on my laptop. I have tried to find answers to the problem on Google but most of the solutions seem to be specific to the individual situation. I don't quite understand what the actual problem is here, as the erorr is a bit vague. Any help appreciated.

Tom

Code: Select all

Failed to open image 'D:\Users\tom\VirtualBox VMs\Windows Server 2016 DC\Snapshots\{89cef52f-0401-4d20-a288-abdb47be07ac}.vdi' in read-only mode (VERR_VD_INVALID_TYPE).
AHCI: Failed to attach drive to Port0 (VERR_VD_INVALID_TYPE).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Unable to launch virtual machine

Post by socratis »

Tom G (CS) wrote:in read-only mode
Check the permissions of that mentioned file and the permissions on the path to that file. You should be having read/write access. You don't seem to...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Tom G (CS)

Post by Tom G (CS) »

I have just verified that I am the owner of the folder where the VM's data resides, and that I have 'full control' permissions. I also replicated those permissions to the subfolders/files including the disk in question, but it hasn't made any difference. There are three VMs I am having this issue with, but several others work fine.

I can't quite understand the error message - is the problem that it cannot open the file in readonly mode, or that the file is in readonly mode therefore cannot be opened?

I dont' know if it's relevant, but the three VMs that won't boot use a fourth VM as a linked base. The linked base VM runs fine, but the three that are linked to it do not seem to.
Last edited by socratis on 14. Aug 2018, 02:23, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Tom G (CS) wrote:is the problem that it cannot open the file in readonly mode, or that the file is in readonly mode therefore cannot be opened?
Same thing if you think about it. A hard disk is not a read-only medium. Under normal operations, an OS needs to have read-write access to the HD. Non-normal operation is considered booting from a Live DVD.
Tom G (CS) wrote:but the three VMs that won't boot use a fourth VM as a linked base.
Post the .vbox file from the VMs and the linked clone in a ZIPPED file. You can get the .vbox by right-clicking the VM, Show in Explorer. That selects the .vbox (recipe) for that VM.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.