Display problems with Ubuntu vm on W10 host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
VBnovice
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: XP

Display problems with Ubuntu vm on W10 host

Post by VBnovice »

My laptop runs on Windows 10 Home.
I installed the latest Ubuntu as a guest vm in the latest Virtualbox. Essentially that works fine. The mouse and keyboard work well. So does clipboard, etc.
One place where I have some problems is in the display and they are minor. I'll explain.

Using Firefox both in W10 and in Ubuntu,
1. some elements like the formatting bar is absent in Linux. See images.
On the left in the Ubuntu Firefox (no formatting bar), on the right W10 with formatting bar

2. scroll bar iis much narrower in Ubuntu than in W10

Are these discrepancies due to the OSs, different browser versions, or because of display in virtualbox? Can they be fixed?
Attachments
Capture.GIF
Capture.GIF (93.41 KiB) Viewed 843 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Display problems with Ubuntu vm on W10 host

Post by socratis »

VBnovice wrote:Are these discrepancies due to the OSs, different browser versions, or because of display in virtualbox?
Yes, yes, no. The application rendering has nothing to do with VirtualBox. Especially when we're not talking about 2D or 3D acceleration.
VBnovice wrote:Can they be fixed?
Not from within VirtualBox, that's for sure...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I'm seeing an increase in the people posting images in dithered GIF format. These are inferior in quality and much larger (because of all the high frequency "noise" in the image) than the conventional PNG. Is there some retro fashion trend I'm not aware of that's making people choose this obsolete 90's era palette based (8bit) format to code a 24bit or 32bit image?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

VBnovice,
I deleted your duplicate message. Keep in mind that according to the forum rules, duplicate posts are not allowed. It's not good etiquette. I wouldn't want to see a duplicate post again from you...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
VBnovice
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: XP

Post by VBnovice »

I was not aware I had a duplicate post. If I did, it was not on purpose.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

VBnovice wrote:I was not aware I had a duplicate post.
Your original post was on 2018-08-13, 01:29 (my time).
The second post was on 2018-08-13, 19:28, 18 hours later. Same wording, different size attachments. ;)

Still I don't believe that this is a VirtualBox issue at all...