VT-x not avaialbe & 32 bit only

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Sceleratis

VT-x not avaialbe & 32 bit only

Post by Sceleratis »

Made an account to post here as I'm absolutely stumped. Over the last few days, VirtualBox is only allowing me to create 32bit guests. When I attempt to launch one of my 64bit guests (basically all of them are 64bit) I'm getting the following error:
(Was going to post an image of it but I haven't been a member long enough/have enough posts)

VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).
Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

Virtualization/VT-x is enabled in BIOS and the Task Manager is reporting the same. Hypervisor is not enabled, and I also tried disabling WSL to see if that would do anything but it didn't help. I've reinstalled VirtualBox twice now but nothing has changed. I've searched online and within this forum, but most people seemed to resolve it by making sure Hypervisor was disabled which it already is for me so that isn't the issue (I also tried enabling & redisabling it just in-case). I'm on Windows 10 and not on an insider build.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VT-x not avaialbe & 32 bit only

Post by socratis »

Sceleratis wrote:Over the last few days, VirtualBox is only allowing me to create 32bit guests.
What changed in those last few days? What was updated in the system? And please, don't tell me nothing. Everybody and their cousin is using background updates, the question is which one. Any 3rd party antivirus that updated their engines, any debuggers that you installed, something else?

Please go thoroughly through the FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests. Remember that these are just guidelines, you have to use your judgement...

Check especially closely the last part that talks about Windows hosts and the different mechanisms that are introduced every now and then to make life more difficult...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Sceleratis

Post by Sceleratis »

By last few days I mean the last week or two. I have absolutely no idea what changed to cause the problem. It might have been longer than a few days, just I noticed it a few days ago but hadn't had to use a VM for over a month or so before that, so figuring out what changed and exactly when is basically impossible. I've just been trying to fix it the last few days but that's not necessarily when it happened. I'm only using Windows Defender so it probably isn't related to the anti-virus, and I don't even have an option for 64bit anymore when making a new machine or configuring existing ones. As I said Hyper-V is disabled and VT-x is enabled. I don't suppose anyone knows a way to troubleshoot VT-x or figure out if something is using it like Hyper-V does?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Sceleratis wrote:I don't suppose anyone knows a way to troubleshoot VT-x or figure out if something is using it like Hyper-V does?
Nope. It's one of the universe's unknown factors. There's no way of figuring out what's using Hyper-V. As I've said previously, you've got to figure it out on your own. Lately there have been many hits with Trustee Rapport and other web banking software.

Quit VirtualBox. Wait for 2' for the main VirtualBox process (VBoxSVC) to end. Check with your Task Manager. Or reboot your computer. Then relaunch VirtualBox, try to start a VM. Close the VM and right-click on it, Show Logs. Post in a ZIP file the files: VBox.log and VBoxHardening.log.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Sceleratis

Post by Sceleratis »

Sorry for the extremely late reply, been super busy and forgot to check back.
Here's the logs
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uBZdib ... sp=sharing
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Mea culpa... I should have explicitly stated instead of:
socratis wrote:Post in a ZIP file the files: VBox.log and VBoxHardening.log.
the more appropriate:
  • Attach to your reply in a ZIP file the files: VBox.log and VBoxHardening.log (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Not a lot of people will go to 3rd party sites, plus the "evidence" is always here, attached to the issue.
apo2

Post by apo2 »

I have faced this problem on new windows 10 (ver1803) PC which has intel 8th gen. core-i5 8250U & VirtualBox 5.2.18 for Windows.
I checked for Hyper-V option is using on windows, but it is not found. (I have run OptionalFeatures.exe and Windows Hyper-V Platform is blanked)

" This has become a particular issue with 64bit Windows desktop and server hosts - especially Win8/Win2k12/Win10, since these may enable Microsoft's Hyper-v VM platform by default"

I will try "bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off" and make sure to fully power down and reboot the host after changing the Hyper-v setting, after this post.
apo2

Post by apo2 »

apo2 wrote:I will try "bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off" and make sure to fully power down and reboot the host after changing the Hyper-v setting, after this post.
This trouble is not solved by Windows Hyper-v setting, VirtualBox 5.2.18 is falled down to 32bit Guest only. Hum...
apo2

Post by apo2 »

Windows System Information are;

System SKU LENOVO_MT_81BF_BU_idea_FM_ideapad 520-15IKB
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8250U CPU @ 1.60GHz, 1800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date LENOVO 6JCN23WW, 1/23/2018
SMBIOS Version 3.0
Embedded Controller Version 1.23
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer LENOVO
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes
--- End of System Infomation ---

I speculate that last line option desturbed VirtualBox VT-x operation.
How can I fix them?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Hyper-V: Here's a rather big laundry list of things to try: https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/17741#comment:9

Also, this Microsoft article on Credential Guard: Manage Windows Defender Credential Guard, the "Disable Windows Defender Credential Guard" part...
pt58

Post by pt58 »

apo2 wrote:Windows System Information are;

Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes
--- End of System Infomation ---

I speculate that last line option desturbed VirtualBox VT-x operation.
How can I fix them?
Looks like you need to enable Virtualization (Vt-x) in the BIOS
apo2

Post by apo2 »

I tried to enable Virtualization in the BIOS, but the option for Virtualization was not found in this PC's BIOS.
I have googled for their information, but I cannot find out the solution. I will get Lenovo support and ask them.
# Lenovo BIOS has feature for Intel Virtualization Technology in Configuration tab.
Last edited by socratis on 27. Aug 2018, 10:36, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
apo2

Post by apo2 »

I got the answer for this problem. Just make sure the other Hyper-V process is not enabled, and enabled Virtualization in BIOS. VirtualBox 5.2.18 for Windows is stable, and work well.