Added USB drive can´t be seen

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Jiger
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: MS Windows XP, Linux Mint

Added USB drive can´t be seen

Post by Jiger »

I have Windows 10 Home as host and Windows XP as guest. I have added an external drive for backup purposes to the guest. It can be seen (and marked) from the litle icon in the down right corner of the guest (and thus not from the host anymore). BUT it can´t be seen by explorer or any file manager in the guest and it is consequently not available for backup purposes. What is wrong and what can be done?
ChipMcK
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, OSX

Re: Added USB drive can´t be seen

Post by ChipMcK »

USB basics and troubleshooting, authored by socratis
WinXP USB3: you need to install the Renesas drivers in your Windows XP guest. The instructions are . . .
Jiger
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: MS Windows XP, Linux Mint

Post by Jiger »

The length of this USB basics article is such, that it is obvious that this is extremely complicated and trublesome. It should be very much simplified in a future version of VB!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

The topic *is* complicated, it says so right at the beginning. I'm sorry that I didn't simply address your specific issue, but I tried to cover all issues. Please post your recommendations. I'm all ears...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.