[Solved] Unable to create a working VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
DesertIsland

[Solved] Unable to create a working VM

Post by DesertIsland »

Firstly let me say I fully accept that I am failing to do something in order to get this error however I need help to identifying what.
I have created a VM of my host windows 10 64bit machine using 'vCenter Converter' and tested it using 'VMware workstation 14 player' all works fine. I open 'virtualbox V5.124 r117012' and create a new virtual machine name=Test5 Type=Microsoft Windows Version Windows 10 (64-bit) (as shown in attachment capture.jpg). I then select the 'use an existing virtual disk' option and select the vmdk file from VMware. I then select the VM and select the start icon. The VM starts but I quickly get the error 'FATAL: No bootable medium found! System halted.' (as shown in the attachment capture1.jpg).

I have searched google and tried a number of things, such as changing the VM storage controller to IDE, removing the VM optical drive, checking the host bios settings. But still get the same result. I have also recently used an old machine to install linux mint cinnamon 19 on. I installed virtualboxv5.2.10_ubuntu r121806 on that and copied the vmdk file from the other machine and have got exactly the same result. I have also tried to create a fresh (new) VM in virtual box and when I start that a dialog asks me to select a startup disk. I select a bootable iso I created in AOMEI but then still get the same error. What am I missing?
Attachments
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (29.05 KiB) Viewed 4087 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (76.73 KiB) Viewed 4087 times
Last edited by socratis on 17. Aug 2018, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Unable to create a working VM

Post by mpack »

A side issue - but I see you have PAE/NX disabled, this will need to be enabled as Win10 guests require it I believe.

Otherwise, my main guess is that the PC you imaged has an EFI BIOS and a GPT partition map, and EFI has not been enabled in the VM settings. Therefore the contents of the drive are not recognized by the default (non-EFI) virtual BIOS. I should warn you that VirtualBox EFI support was designed to be sufficient for OS X guests. I frankly don't know if it's now reached a state whereby it can also support Win10 (the manual says yes).

The screenshots are very nice, but if you need to continue this conversation then we'll require a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in the GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
DesertIsland

Post by DesertIsland »

Thanks for the reply mpack.

Your side issue comment regarding PAE/NX what is that please?

I have attached the log in a zip file as requested.
Attachments
test5-2018-08-08-10-34-58.zip
(19.94 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

VBox.log wrote:
VirtualBox VM 5.1.24 r117012 win.amd64 (Jul 17 2017 20:04:19) release log
VirtualBox 5.1.24 is quite old now and has moved to the "unsupported" phase of its life. You should start by upgrading to the most recent (5.2.16 as of writing).
VBox.log wrote:
00:00:03.190675 Host RAM: 4008MB (3.9GB) total, 1503MB available
00:00:03.419756   RamSize           <integer> = 0x000000007ad00000 (2 060 451 840, 1 965 MB)
00:00:03.420107   VRamSize         <integer> = 0x0000000008000000 (134 217 728, 128 MB)
You have allocated memory to the guest that you don't have available on the host. Your options are: a) allocate less memory to the guest, b) close some applications on the host, or c) buy some more memory for the host. Your best option to start is to reduce the allocated guest RAM to 1024MB.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

DesertIsland wrote: Your side issue comment regarding PAE/NX what is that please?
It's an option in the VM settings (System|Advanced). Turn it on. Though, with that said... I see plenty of mention of NX anyway in the log, apparantly enabled. Strange. It must be implied by some other setting, though I don't know what. I'd still turn it on in the VM settings though.
DesertIsland

Post by DesertIsland »

Sorry for the delay in replying, I had family issues and just got back to it this morning.

Andyp73 thanks for that. I have updated the software and altered the ram allocation.

mpack - thanks for the explanation. I have enabled it anyway just in case.

It now works. Thanks guys. :D
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

DesertIsland wrote:It now works.
Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.