Connect guest to network not host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Simon Kent

Connect guest to network not host

Post by Simon Kent »

Hi, I am using VirtualBox v 5.2.16 on a windows 10 pro 64 bit host with 16Gb memory, 4Gb allocated to guest also running windows 10 pro 64 bit.
The host is a personal laptop. The guest is used as a work PC. When at work, I desire to connect the guest to the work network, without connecting the host to the work network. The host's network hardware (Wifi and USB-c connected network cable) is obviously used for this, but I require the personal host to not see the work network and vice versa. My network knowledge is limited. I can't find anything in the manual or by searching the forums, though I am sure it must be there. Thanks.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Connect guest to network not host

Post by andyp73 »

You may be able to get this to work by bridging the guest network adapter to the USB-C connected wired network interface and then disabling the IPv4 and IPv6 drivers for that network interface on the host.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Connect guest to network not host

Post by BillG »

This is pretty easy with a Windows host. You can use the adapter settings in Windows to control what the NIC does.

Decide which connection you are going to use and disable the other one. Now look at the properties of the Active NIC from Windows. You will see a display similar to this one.
NIC Properties.PNG

The only property which the vm requires to use this NIC is the VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver. All the others are used by the host itself. Simply clear the check mark from all of the boxes except the one for VirtualBox NDIS6 Bridged Networking Driver. The host now has no access to this NIC. Only the guest does.
Bill