Completely broken VM?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
PaoloC

Completely broken VM?

Post by PaoloC »

Good evening, my VM is completely gone and i don't know why lol
I was having some space problems (Ubuntu VM on Win10 host) and was trying to fix some broken installation packages, because the OS didn't allow me to install anything else until i fix that problem :cry: :cry: :cry:
I turned off the VM, and now i can't open it anymore. It starts booting, i see "Ubuntu" orange page loading, then black window.
Checking the VM setting, i see a warning triangle under my SATA controller, at the voice of "Ubuntu.vdi", saying:

"Could not open the medium \.\.\Ubuntu\Ubuntu.vdi. VD: error VERR_PATH_NOT_FOUND opening image file \.\.\.Ubuntu\Ubuntu.vdi (VERR_PATH_NOT_FOUND)"

So, i actually didn't touch anything on the host, or on the VM's settings. Any idea how to fix this? I have some documents in the VM, and wouldn't delete it if possible.
Sorry for my bad english, and thanks for the help ^^
Paolo
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Completely broken VM?

Post by mpack »

It looks like you've been using non default folder structures. Fine, but you are reponsible if they fail. "Path not found" means that it's looking for some file (probably the base VDI) in some place (another folder) outside of the VM folder. That other folder does not exist. Your best solution is to find the missing file, move it into the VM folder, then remove all paths from filenames in the .vbox file. If the missing file can't be found then you should give what's left of the VM a decent burial.

Hopefully all that happened is that Windows assigned a new drive letter to a secondary drive. It's liable to do that sometimes.

In future, if you worry that drive C may not have enough space for your VM then move the entire VM to another drive. Not bits of a VM, as that is just begging for future messups, like right now for example.

If you need to continue the conversation then please provide a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in the GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
PaoloC

Post by PaoloC »

update: can't give you any log, because actually the VM status is "unaccessible". Didn't touch anything, just turned off the computer since now

and the .vdi file should be in the right folder! i checked now, is still in user/virtualboxvms/ubuntu/ubuntu.vdi
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

That is not a valid Windows path, that is a relative path using the wrong separator. Also "virtualboxvms" is not the normal VM home folder either. "VirtualBox VMs" would be correct (note the space). The complete non-relative path would be "C:\Users\<username>\VirtualBox VMs\<vmname>\<file>".
arQon
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Ubuntu 16.04 x64, W7

Post by arQon »

What mpack said. Alternatively, go to the Virtual Media Manager, Release and Remove the VDI from that, then (re)attach it to the VM from its new location once you find it.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Don't do that if there are any snapshots attached to the VM.