NAT Network issues

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mason4290

NAT Network issues

Post by mason4290 »

I have created an environment to test out a few things with how Linux and Windows machines communicate with file sharing and whatnot. Not all that important, but I am running a version of windows 7 and a debian based version of Linux. I set them in the same NAT network, and from the windows machine I am able to ping the Linux machine, but from the linux machine I am NOT able to ping the windows machine.

From the Linux machine I am not able to ping my host computer either and I am with the windows machine.

It's worth noting that I am able to connect to the net via firefox on my Linux distro.

Thanks for any help this receives, I am truly stumped here and I have been working at it for about 2 hours now. Thanks for any help I get, and I am able to provide additional information if needed.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: NAT Network issues

Post by BillG »

Ping is easily blocked by firewalls. Ping working in one direction and not the other is usually caused by a firewall setting. Either temporarily disable the firewall on the target machine for your test or configure the firewall to allow ICMP.
Bill