Boot Existing Windows OS Disk via USB inside a VM

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Runningwolf

Boot Existing Windows OS Disk via USB inside a VM

Post by Runningwolf »

Hello folks,

I searched the forums,.. and found hints and some topics that were close, but not quite what I was looking for.

I have several hard disk laying around the office from when I started working here. I am trying to go through them with a USB connected dock, and see what is on them, and wipe the partitions and reuse them if I don't need them. I had the idea to try and boot some of these disk that have Windows loaded on them to see exactly what they were. I found an article detailing how to do this and I understand it is called Raw Hard Disk Access.

Windows 7
Virtual Box Version 5.2.12 r122591 (Qt5.6.2)

I followed these steps and created the VMDK file that points to the physical disk, PhysicalDisk#1. I had some stops and starts, finally I ran the command line from an Administrative command line. I also started VirtualBox running as Administrator, and I still get this error when starting the VM:
-------
The I/O cache encountered an error while updating data in medium "ahci-0-0" (rc=VERR_ACCESS_DENIED).
Make sure there is enough free space on the disk and that the disk is working properly. Operation can be resumed afterwards.

Error ID:
BLKCACHE_IOERR
Severity:
Non-Fatal Error
-----------
Oh,.. and it pauses the VM. If I start it up again I get the same error again.

Can any one offer suggestions here?

Darrell
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Boot Existing Windows OS Disk via USB inside a VM

Post by socratis »

You need to be an Administrator in Windows in order to have raw disk access, and even that might need some additional "tricks".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Runningwolf

Post by Runningwolf »

I am a Domain Administrator and I am also in the local Administrator Group. I also have tried running the command prompt AS ADMINISTRATOR and also run Virtualbox AS ADMINISTRATOR.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Remember that I said?
socratis wrote:and even that might need some additional "tricks"
See viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38914#p175089
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.