1881 British Census and National Index

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Murf Oscar

Re: 1881 British Census and National Index

Post by Murf Oscar »

As I indicated, "New territory".
Can I do this by adding a new controller connecting to the Secondary Slave slot, leaving "Host Drive E:" in place?
Or do I remove "Host Drive E:" and Add a new controller in which case which controller type is required for an image file? And does it matter if I leave removal till last?
Murf Oscar

Post by Murf Oscar »

Now understand I can't add a new IDE controller, as this option is not available presumably because the maximum is 2, primary and secondary, and all slots are presently taken. So as first step will have to remove Optical Drive "E" and then add a new IDE controller - Correct?

Thinking ahead, propose to name this new controller "[Optical Drive] Data Image File" - Like?

Presume the program will still ask for a disc to be inserted. Interested to understand how I will make the selected saved image file available assuming I will have saved all 23 data CDs as image files?
Murf Oscar

Post by Murf Oscar »

mpack wrote:Just go into VM settings, Storage tab. Currently you have host drive E: mapped to the VMs virtual CD drive (see panel on right while CD drive is selected). Map it to the ISO file instead.
Am concerned that the last two messages successfully sent are not appearing and fear they have been moderated out, possibly because they sought clarification of issues I am expected to understand and be technically competent to implement, i.e., the direction quoted above.

Be assured mapping drives is new territory for me.

Expanding your instruction to relate directly to the Storage tab display:

"Currently I have host drive E: mapped to the VMs virtual drive aka Optical Drive: IDE Secondary Master of Type: Host Drive, Size: -- , Location, --, and Attached to: Oracle VM Windows XP, O..(obscured).

"Map it (host drive E:) to the ISO file instead", but what type of controller, IDE, SATA, SCSI, SAS, FLOPPY, USB OR NVMe should I be using, and what information will I be asked to provide? Presumably too I will have to relocate the imgBurn file into the VMs space on the host hard disc?

As you can see I am aiming to get this change right at the first attempt, and will greatly appreciate your guidance.

Regards,
Murf Oscar
Murf Oscar

Post by Murf Oscar »

Oops! The earlier messages I said were not appearing are now there.
Are messages updated every 24 hours?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I didn't say to add or change controllers. You are changing media in a drive, you are not changing or adding drives.
Image1.png
Image1.png (39.78 KiB) Viewed 937 times
In any case with NT4 your hardware options are limited, so stick to IDE for hard disks and CD drives. I would also be wary of changing hardware much at all post installation of the OS, since I doubt that NT4 was strongly "plug and play".