Only 32bits on OSX Parallels Windows10 ?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
redskate

Only 32bits on OSX Parallels Windows10 ?

Post by redskate »

Edit:  
Hello

I do not own any windows Host, I am trying to use an Ubuntu linux 64bit (16.04) on a virtualbox 5.2.12 on Windows10 pro (64bit). This windows10 pro 64bit is hosted inside a Parallels 12 instance running on an OS Sierra Laptop (a mac book pro). No Hyper-V enabled on windows, Windows (under System->Abour) says it is a full 64bit windows 10.

Of course it is easier to use the Linux machine directly but I need to do some tests in order to prepare a virtualbox linux virtual machine for both OSX AND WINDOWS10 systems, so I need to see whether this linux machine is runnable from the virtualbox in windows but I cannot load her yet because virtualbox is only showing / allowing 32bit machines.

On some blog it is advised to "enable virtualization on BIOS" ... but which BIOS then in my case please? The BIOS in OSX does allow virtualization per default. The BIOS in the generated Parallels 12 Windows 10 machine is generated by Parallels. So either Parallels does something strange here or there is another bit to "turn" in order to allow virtualbox showing its 64bits templates ?

I could manage to convert the HDD of the Parallels VM to a VirtualBox VM running windows 10, started it, started there VirtualBox and: the same - only 32bit machines templates are allowed. So even with VMBOX in VMBOX it seems not to be possible to run a 64bit guest.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by redskate on 15. Jul 2018, 17:46, edited 1 time in total.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Re: Only 32bits on OSX Parallels Windows10 ?

Post by Martin »

Running Virtualbox in nested virtualization / inside a VM is not supported.
It needs full access to hardware virtualization by running directly on the host to be able to support 64bit guests.
redskate

Re: Only 32bits on OSX Parallels Windows10 ?

Post by redskate »

ok, so hoping that "possibility" will be created, I will buy a real machine ...

Thank you for your kind response.