windows 10 update problems

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
patcav

windows 10 update problems

Post by patcav »

I have had problem when windows 10 updates. VirtualBox starts but when I try to run a session it fails with the message Failed to open a session for the virtual machine xp for quiken.
The virtual machine 'xp for quiken' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1). More details may be available in 'C:\Users\patca\VirtualBox VMs\xp for quiken\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {85cd948e-a71f-4289-281e-0ca7ad48cd89}
I have uninstalled, rebooted and then re-installed and this has fixed the problem until now. I have tried several times but the sessions always fails with same error.
Does anyone have any suggestions
Last edited by socratis on 13. Dec 2018, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote] tag for better readability
mhanor
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: various

Re: windows 10 update problems

Post by mhanor »

Attach the hardening log that's mentioned in the error dialog.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Remember to zip the log before attaching it.
patcav

Post by patcav »

I have attached VBox Harding Log, hope you have a solution

Pat Cav
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(10.62 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Try it without having MalwareBytes installed. Are you aware that Windows 10 has built in AV?

The hardening log seems to have been captured while the VM was still running, and therefore does not show a complete session.
patcav

Post by patcav »

I have un-installed Malware-bytes, rebooted and then installed virtual box with same results. I have attached new hardening file
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(10.44 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Do you have any other AV like products installed on your PC? Trusteer Endpoint Protection software seems to be a popular irritant recently.
patcav

Post by patcav »

THANK YOU mpack, problem solved
gaurav.sharma
Primary OS: MS Windows XP
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by gaurav.sharma »

I am facing similar problems with Virtualbox. I just had clean install Windows 10 Installed on my official laptop ( it has AV pre-isntalled ). I've read and tried few workarounds but none seem to be working. Here is what I've already tried :

- Install previous version from 5.2 to 5.1.32
- Change the registry entries explained in various posts ( moving values from 1 to 3 and also updating the image paths )
- Checked my BIOS configuration, seem to be fine ( hyper threading, turbo etc checked )

I am attaching the various log files and screenshot, please if someone can help me fix this issue.
Attachments
Error Text.txt
Copy of Error Text
(383 Bytes) Downloaded 5 times
VBoxHardening.zip
Hardeniing logs.
(8.17 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
The error that popped up once I started the VM
The error that popped up once I started the VM
Error Image.png (10.87 KiB) Viewed 3693 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Your VBoxHardening.Log file appears to contain a reference to just about every piece of software Symantec have ever written! They are known to cause problems with VirtualBox. I don't use it so I don't know whether an exception can be added for all of the VirtualBox executable files or whether you are in a one-or-the-other situation.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

The hardening FAQ contains a discussion of the "Thread not alone" error message. See note in third post.
gaurav.sharma

Post by gaurav.sharma »

Thanks Andyp73 and mpack for your quick replies. I had checked the note on Hardening discussion and I believe its most likely due to AV. Is there any workaround that I can go or the only option is to go back to per version 4.3 ?
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

gaurav.sharma wrote:Is there any workaround that I can go
Yes. 3 actually:
  1. Completely uninstall any 3rd party antivirus.
  2. Add an exception for all VirtualBox files and processes to your antivirus.
  3. Talk to your antivirus vendor to get their act together and sign properly their products.
gaurav.sharma wrote:or the only option is to go back to per version 4.3
So, let me get this straight. You want to use a 4 1/2 year old version from 2014-05-16, with known security issues and holes, instead of completely uninstalling your troublemaker antivirus, and instead use a perfectly fine, minimum hassle, built-into-Win10 antivirus? Is that the question?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
gaurav.sharma

Post by gaurav.sharma »

Hi socratis, I tried older version as well ( pre v4.3 ) but that is also not working. For version till v4.3 I am getting other hardening issues and any version below 4.3 does not start on windows hosts ( even after running as admin / compatibility modes etc )

My laptop is a fresh install and this is the bare minimum image I will get from my company I work for ( this is a company owned laptop ). Therefore getting AV shut down / updated is very difficult so I wanted to get something working and may be the problems will be fixed in later version. Since nothing is working currently for me I am not sure what else can be done. I will keep posted incase I am come across any workaround.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

gaurav.sharma wrote:Since nothing is working currently for me I am not sure what else can be done.
From the VirtualBox point of view there's nothing that can be done. Otherwise, I gave you three (3) alternative options on how to make this work.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.