[solved] Windows VB not working when other VB work

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Chuck_Z

[solved] Windows VB not working when other VB work

Post by Chuck_Z »

Hey guys,

I'm at a loss here. I've downloaded a windows 10 virtual box, and when I launch it I only get a black screen. I have linux boxes working just fine, I looked in my BIOS and virtualization is activated. I also updated my drivers and still I get a black screen. I used the settings provided with the box (2GB of RAM, etc.) and didn't change a thing.
I understand I'm supposed to provide a log, which one would be useful in my case?

Cheers,
Chuck
Last edited by Chuck_Z on 13. Jul 2018, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Windows VB not working when other VB work

Post by andyp73 »

Chuck_Z wrote:I've downloaded a windows 10 virtual box
Assuming that this is a legitimate and correctly licensed Windows 10 guest image then we need to see its VBox.log file (and possibly the VBoxHardening.Log file) from when you try to boot it. Either look in the Logs directory for the guest or in VirtualBox Manager, right click on the guest and select "Show logs...". Zip them and post them here.

If you are asking us to help you get an illegally copied guest to run then don't. The forums can't be seen to be helping people breach copyright and license agreements.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Chuck_Z

Post by Chuck_Z »

Hey Andyp73, thanks for the quick reply.

I downloaded the box from this page (developer dot microsoft dot com / en-us / microsoft-edge / tools / vms /) assuming that's legal. Sorry for the link format, i cannot post URLs yet.

I joined the zip files. Thanks in advance :)
Attachments
VBoxHardening.log.zip
VboxHardening log file
(24.13 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
VBox.log.zip
Vbox log file
(27.52 KiB) Downloaded 2 times
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

How long did you let it run? Are the disk and network icons at the bottom of the window flashing?

It takes a while to set up, but works fine for me eventually.
MSEdge.PNG
Bill
Chuck_Z

Post by Chuck_Z »

Hey Bill,

You're right. Which is amazing. I let it spin yesterday for half an hour, and nothing. Today, five minutes in, it works.
I'm sorry for the inconvenience...!
Thanks.