Windows Reboots Destroying Machines

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
yawmarine

Windows Reboots Destroying Machines

Post by yawmarine »

I'm tired of Windows Update's automatic reboots sending my machines into "Aborted" states which today ended up making a machine unbootable. Is there a way to make VirtualBox gracefully shut guests down instead of just pooping itself, the way other software sends some kind of "the user needs to save their work" hint to Windows and pauses the reboot process?
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Windows Reboots Destroying Machines

Post by BillG »

The best solution is to take charge of your Windows system and manually manage updates. If you do not feel confident enough to do the registry hacks yourself, use a registry tweaker program written by someone who does.
Bill
yawmarine

Post by yawmarine »

BillG wrote:The best solution is to take charge of your Windows system and manually manage updates. If you do not feel confident enough to do the registry hacks yourself, use a registry tweaker program written by someone who does.
The best solution is to have a program that can be destructive to data when closing unexpectedly tell Windows to not close it unexpectedly.
BillG
Volunteer

Post by BillG »

My suggestion will work now. Yours is a wish list!
Bill
yawmarine

Post by yawmarine »

Sure thing. I'll get right on that and rewrite Windows so that it doesn't install updates at random times and inconsistently require reboots when it does.

My suggestion is possible. Your suggestion is not going to happen in a million years.
BillG
Volunteer

Post by BillG »

You can do it now. You do not have to accept the default settings in Windows, just as you do not have to accept the default settings in VirtualBox or any other OS or program. All you have to do is change some registry settings to restore the option to not download updates until requested. This was available from the GUI in Windows 7 and the code is still there.

https://www.neowin.net/news/winaero-tweaker-0102
Bill