Issue with internet

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
VWTx2003

Issue with internet

Post by VWTx2003 »

I am having an issue with a lab I am creating. My Host is Windows 10. I installed VBox 5.2.14.
The point of my exercise was to create several VM's with windows server 2016 and make one of them a Domain Controller. The other servers/clients would be part of that domain. I did that and the original Network of the VM was a NAT. This was giving me a dynamic IP which I wanted to change. So, I created a "Host Network Manager" and enabled DHCP to get a range of IP's. After that, I changed my VM's network to "Host-only Adapter" and set it up to the "Host Network Manager" I had created. With that, I was able to give my Domain controller a static address and all the other servers and client also got static addresses and can communicate with each other. That is all cool; but I don't have internet in them. I tried the "Nat Network" option; but I will always get a dynamic IP. I would do an ipconfig and always would get the same ip in all of them.
So, my question, how can I move away from this "Host Network Manager" and still have communication between my VM's, have them login to the Domain Controller, have a static address and have the all important internet connection? Reading the documentation it looks to me the answer is "Nat Network;" however, my setting seems to be wrong.

Thanks!
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Issue with internet

Post by BillG »

Use a VirtualBox internal network.

If you really need Internet access, set up a router between the internal network and your Internet connection, just as you would with a domain of physical machines running through a physical switch. You can use a vm as the router, using a routing appliance such as pfSense (one interface in the internal network, the other bridged to a physical NIC in the host with Internet access).

Machines joined to a domain need to use the DC only for DNS, otherwise Active Directory fails.
Bill