[Resolved] Error relaunching VirtualBox VM process: 5

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Clint-white

[Resolved] Error relaunching VirtualBox VM process: 5

Post by Clint-white »

I wonder if someone could please help me or point me in the right direction?

I have having an issue with the latest version of Virtualbox 5.2.12r122591 running on Windows 10 (with all the latest updates) that is stopping me from running any virtual machine (but specially a Windows XP virtual machine).

After many attempts I have found that if I uninstall virtualbox and then re-install (as an administrator) the virtual machine will work ok but only until the next time the PC is rebooted!

After rebooting the PC and then running virtualbox the following error is displayed: -
Error relaunching VirtualBox VM process: 5
Command line: '60eaff78-4bdd-042d-2e72-669728efd737-suplib-3rdchild --comment intelios --startvm 53f35ed5-907b-4e1f-a86b-e971c2f866d0 --no-startvm-errormsgbox "--sup-hardening-log=C:\SPB_Data\VirtualBox VMs\WinXP\Logs\VBoxHardening.log" (rc=-104)

Please try reinstalling VirtualBox.

where: supR3HardenedWinReSpawn what: 5 VERR_INVALID_NAME (-104) -
Invalid (malformed) file/path name.

I initially thought that the issue was due to Malwarebytes as after uninstalling this everything worked fine even between reboots but today upon starting the PC up I am getting the above error again and the only way around it seems to be uninstall virtualbox,reboot,re-installbox. The virtual machine will then run fine until the next PC reboot!

I have tried the suggestions re vboxdrv and setting the appropriate registry entry to 1 but it makes no difference

I have attached the hardening log file but not sure if it only contains data for the last time that the virtual machine was run (it is currently working ok as I have not rebooted the PC)

From the further testing it seems that this has only become an issue after the latest (June) updates for Windows were released and updated on the PC - as soon as I updated the PC with the latest Windows 10 build (it had been switched off for some months) I run into this error message and I have to do exactly the following otherwise Virtualbox will not run again :- uninstall Virtualbox, reboot, install virtualbox as admin.

I have also tried with ethe just released Virtualbox 5.2.14 and I still get the same issues?

Any advice / help would be much appreciated - Thank you.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(10.58 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
Last edited by socratis on 4. Jul 2018, 19:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Error relaunching VirtualBox VM process: 5

Post by socratis »

Please read really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues for some generic guidelines/ideas. Remember, these are guidelines, not the exact solution, you have to use your judgement...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Clint-white

Post by Clint-white »

Hi There - thanks for the reply.

I actually fixed it later that day bur forgot to post here.

The PC that I was working on was not mine and I should have taken the time to see what software was already installed on it.

I found out after going into app / programs that Truster rapport was installed !!

Uninstalling it got Virtualbox working again.

Thanks for your post though Socratis
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Resolved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
raffer

Re: [Resolved] Error relaunching VirtualBox VM process: 5

Post by raffer »

I had this issue, and it was Kaspersky Labs antivirus that was the cause.