Machine goes to Guru Meditation when trying to install OS

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Mihaugoku

Machine goes to Guru Meditation when trying to install OS

Post by Mihaugoku »

I need to install Ubuntu on a VM, but strangely it just crashes as soon as i choose to install the OS.

I downloaded ubuntu 16.04 some time ago, and it worked fine. However, after trying to install it for the second time, it gives me an error message saying that a critical error has occured. I found no working help online, and i myself don't understand what's going on. Never seen this error before on VirtualBox.

Here's the log:
puu.sh/ANxtX/97142bbfa9.log

Please help as i have exams in 5 days :(
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Machine goes to Guru Meditation when trying to install OS

Post by andyp73 »

Please can you post the log file here (zipped of course, rather than on some random third party site. It is more likely to get looked at that way.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Mihaugoku

Post by Mihaugoku »

Sure. Here it is.
VBox.zip
(52.58 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

VBox.log wrote:
VirtualBox VM 5.2.2 r119230 win.amd64 (Nov 22 2017 16:22:28) release log
VirtualBox 5.2.2 is a little behind the times. The current version (as I type) is 5.2.12 but as you will see below, I don't think upgrading will get you very far.
VBox.log wrote:
00:00:01.498032 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is not available
This is the root cause of your problem. Unfortunately, your Intel Pentium B980 CPU doesn't support VT-x. VT-x (or its AMD equivalent) becomes more and more of a requirement as time moves forward and raw mode is going to be phased out.

I'm not sure how Ubuntu worked fine before, but now no longer does, unless there has been an update to VirtualBox that you neglected to tell us about. Unfortunately, with your hardware I think you are going to have to downgrade to the 5.1.x or 5.0.x versions until you get back to one that works.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Try turning VT-x off in the VM settings (System|Acceleration tab).

If it's grayed out then make sure the VM is closed (not suspended) and type the VBoxManage command in the command prompt:

Code: Select all

"c:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" modifyvm "linux" --hwvirtex off
Mihaugoku

Post by Mihaugoku »

andyp73 wrote:
VBox.log wrote:
VirtualBox VM 5.2.2 r119230 win.amd64 (Nov 22 2017 16:22:28) release log
VirtualBox 5.2.2 is a little behind the times. The current version (as I type) is 5.2.12 but as you will see below, I don't think upgrading will get you very far.
True, i haven't updated VB in quite a while. Thanks for telling me, i didn't notice.
andyp73 wrote:
VBox.log wrote:
00:00:01.498032 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is not available
This is the root cause of your problem. Unfortunately, your Intel Pentium B980 CPU doesn't support VT-x. VT-x (or its AMD equivalent) becomes more and more of a requirement as time moves forward and raw mode is going to be phased out.
That's a bummer. I'm actually trying to make it work on an older ASUS laptop. Will keep in mind.
andyp73 wrote:I'm not sure how Ubuntu worked fine before, but now no longer does, unless there has been an update to VirtualBox that you neglected to tell us about. Unfortunately, with your hardware I think you are going to have to downgrade to the 5.1.x or 5.0.x versions until you get back to one that works.
I swear it did work before, but i guess it may have been on an older version.
mpack wrote:Try turning VT-x off in the VM settings (System|Acceleration tab).

If it's grayed out then make sure the VM is closed (not suspended) and type the VBoxManage command in the command prompt:

Code: Select all

"c:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" modifyvm "linux" --hwvirtex off
The section is grayed out, as i'm trying to make this work on older hardware. And sadly, the command does not help.

Thanks for the help, i will update this post when i try different VB versions.
Edit: Update, older versions did not help. Will try another OS version. Sorry.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Other OS versions will not help, but the command I gave you should - to the extent that it should force the VT-x switch to be disabled in the VM settings. If the latter doesn't help then the VM must be doing something nasty that only hardware virtualization could cope with (an Intel processor is not fully virtualizable without VT-x, but thankfully the nasties are obscure and long deprecated). E.g. hopefully programmers have learned by now not to write self modifying code.