Connecting to Wi-Fi with Windows XP

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Someguywithacomputer

Connecting to Wi-Fi with Windows XP

Post by Someguywithacomputer »

I have looked high and low for a solution to this problem, but I can't find it at all. I recently created a VirtualBox on a windows system and I've tried everything to get it connected to a wireless network. Every time I try to do something that will get the system connected, it does not display the wireless connection at all. I tried rebooting it, using shared files, and changing the network settings to no luck. Does anyone know how to get this system connected to a Wireless(WLAN) network?
These are the network settings for my Virtual Machine
These are the network settings for my Virtual Machine
Capture.PNG (34.96 KiB) Viewed 520 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Connecting to Wi-Fi with Windows XP

Post by andyp73 »

If you want a Wi-Fi adapter to appear as a Wi-Fi adapter in a Windows XP then it will need to be a USB device that you capture into the guest using a USB filter. This can be a precarious approach and may lead to premature baldness!

The other option is to have a Wi-Fi adapter on your host and then use either NAT or bridged from the guest albeit your guest sees a wired connection. There is one HUGE big caveat to this... bridged networking isn't in the Wi-Fi spec and so if you go down that route it may not work - some combinations of adapter / driver / access point do and some don't.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.