"VboxManage debugvm dumpvmcore" error

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: "VboxManage debugvm dumpvmcore" error

Post by socratis »

Your VM has two minor issues, but nothing that would (seemingly) prevent it from getting the elf out. And you tried with an absolute path for the filename, right? Please try the exact command given below:
"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage" debugvm "win8.1" dumpvmcore --filename="C:\Users\cybecker\Desktop\test\win8.1\dump.elf"
I even launched my Win10 PC, tried a random VM and that worked fine. I'm stumped. Are you the only one running that VM? I really don't like the sharing violation part...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mister

Post by mister »

Doesn't work my friend...

By the way...I really appreciate your help
mister

Post by mister »

Do you want me to send you the VM itself so you could try on the actual machine?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

No, I don't think it's a VM related issue. You tried with a new VM and that failed too. I think there's something wrong with the VirtualBox installation and/or your account. Let's start with the first:
  1. Uninstall VirtualBox. Your VMs are going to be untouched. Reboot.
  2. You may want to clean up your registry and/or filesystem at this point. CCleaner is a freeware utility that could help you. Mind the installation, it comes with "offers" from 3rd parties, known as "bundleware". Also, check out Device Cleanup program that helps you to remove any unused devices from your computer, mainly multiple "Host-Only Adapter #n".
  3. Download (if you haven't already) the latest VirtualBox and its matching ExtPack. Store them in a common location, i.e. not on "Desktop", or "Documents", but to "Public/Downloads" for example.
  4. Uninstall (don't simply disable) all 3rd party antivirus. If you're afraid about your computer being vulnerable, pull the Ethernet plug, disconnect your WiFi, don't go browsing around.
  5. Locate the downloaded file in Windows Explorer. Right-click on the installer and select "Run-as-Administrator", even if you are the administrator. At the end of the installation, choose to "Start Oracle VM VirtualBox". Do not worry if your VMs do not show up.
  6. If you're going to install the ExtPack, go to File » Preferences » Extensions. Click on the icon with the orange, down-pointing arrow on the right. Select the ExtPack from the previous steps.
  7. Quit VirtualBox. Re-start VirtualBox as you would normally, i.e. from the Desktop shortcut or the Start menu.
  8. Update the Guest Additions (GAs) in your guest(s), if the GAs are available for a specific guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
blackneuron

Post by blackneuron »

just start the vm from vboxmanage(not the ui) then take the dump.
superloser

Post by superloser »

blackneuron wrote:just start the vm from vboxmanage(not the ui) then take the dump.
i love you