"VboxManage debugvm dumpvmcore" error

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mister

"VboxManage debugvm dumpvmcore" error

Post by mister »

Hello

I am trying to make an .elf file with VboxManage.exe and I am getting this Error:
C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox>VBoxManage.exe debugvm "win8.1" dumpvmcore --filename="%userprofile%\desktop\mem.elf"
VBoxManage.exe: error: Code E_FAIL (0x80004005) - Unspecified error (extended info not available)
VBoxManage.exe: error: Context: "LockMachine(pArgs->session, LockType_Shared)" at line 798 of file VBoxManageDebugVM.cpp
Here is the .log file:
VBoxSVC.log
(6.86 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
If someone would be able to tell me what am I doing wrong I will really appreciate it.

p.s. This is a copied machine from a different computer, but I am able to open it on my computer with no problems, I am just not able to create the .elf file
Last edited by mister on 25. Jun 2018, 09:42, edited 3 times in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: "VboxManage debugvm dumpvmcore" error

Post by socratis »

Now, that's a question you don't see often ;). I took the liberty and changed the title of your question to something more... unique, and I replaced your picture with the actual text (http://www.newocr.com/)

I tried the command above (close, due to host differences, I'm on OSX) and I had no problem with it:
VBoxManage debugvm 1 dumpvmcore --filename=/Users/Shared/dump.elf
So, two things to check quickly; 1) that the VM is actually running, 2) that you use the complete path for your first attempt.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mister

Post by mister »

Thank you for your changes and reply :)

1) The Machine is running.
2) I'm not sure I fully understand what you mean by asking if I have used the complete path for my first attempt
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Instead of:
VBoxManage debugvm "win8.1" dumpvmcore --filename="%userprofile%\desktop\mem.elf"
try:
VBoxManage debugvm "win8.1" dumpvmcore --filename="C:\Users\mister\mem.elf"
or something like that. If that works, then start using variable substitution...
 Edit: Fixed incorrect Copy/Paste from "-filename" to "--filename" :shock: 
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mister

Post by mister »

Yes, I tried that as well and I got the same error.

As I said before, this is a VM that I copied from a different computer, but it works fine when I open it normally in VirtualBox
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

mister wrote:VBoxManage debugvm "win8.1" dumpvmcore -filename="C:\Users\mister\mem.elf"
Not sure whether this is just a typo in the way the information has got put into the forum posts or whether this is the exact command you are using but according to the help the "filename" argument uses -- not - i.e.
VBoxManage debugvm <uuid|vmname> dumpvmcore [--filename=name]
-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mister

Post by mister »

True, I did use "--", as you could see in my opening message
Last edited by socratis on 25. Jun 2018, 12:13, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Andy, that was my mistake, fixed it now...
mister

Post by mister »

anyone has any idea of what the problem could possibly be?? :?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Create a new VM. You don't have to install anything, just run it to a "FATAL: Could not read from the boot medium!". Can you reproduce it then?
mister

Post by mister »

No, same error
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Are you running the VM as the same user that launched it?
Do you have write access to the directory you're trying to write to?
A VM not being locked is not your everyday error, something's not right here...
mister

Post by mister »

The VM was launched and is in use in the same user, which is a friend is the Administartors group.
I've got permission to write in the directory the VM is placed in.

As I said before, the machine works fine using the VirtualBox, the problem starts when I'm trying to make the .elf file using the VboxManage.exe
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

We're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Login / Shutdown the VM.
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
mister

Post by mister »

Attached
Attachments
win8.1-2018-06-25-19-45-50.zip
(25.47 KiB) Downloaded 45 times