Virtualbox problem with Trusteer Rapport

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
zatz

Re: Virtualbox problem with Trusteer Rapport

Post by zatz »

JorgeOC wrote:Is this still the only solution to the Trusteer Rapport problem (the one posted by IBM)?
If you mean the one here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=88480#p427703 where you rename files, then it's probably not the only solution.

The solution that I posted later in this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=88480&p=448061#p429051 which is also from IBM works for me. The only issue is that you need to change the registry settings again when you install a new version of VirtualBox.
JorgeOC

Post by JorgeOC »

Thank you very much for the observation, I don´t know how I missed it.I will try it and in case of problems I will come back. Regards
JorgeOC

Post by JorgeOC »

Sorry to say, I followed zatz instructions and still not working. I do not know what else to do. I enclose log file. Any help will be appreciated.
Regards
Attachments
VBoxHardening.rar
this is the first run after installing and following zatz's procedure
(9.65 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
JorgeOC

Post by JorgeOC »

I'm happy to say that VM is working now. I did not do anything else to fix it. Besides I do not have tu run the command "sc start vboxdrv" everytime I boot my PC. The VBoxDrv key values start remains as 3 and Type as 2. The only event was a Windows update, I would doubt it fixed it. Anyway thanks for the help.
allanpcat

Post by allanpcat »

Well, a year on from Trusteer Rapport being aware of this bug, their program is still stopping the VM machine loading OS's with a 'box hardening' error. I've tried reloading the latest version of Trusteer Rapport and still the same bug. Fortunately, uninstalling Trusteer Rapport re-enables Virtualbox. I'm sick of this and will now take my chances of using online banking without Trusteer Rapport.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

@allanpcat, There were a couple solutions above that seem to have worked for folks.

Another alternative: run Trusteer Rapport inside a Virtualbox guest? (I don't use this software so I don't know if it would work or not.)
Retired snobird

Post by Retired snobird »

The hardening problem still exists with the latest version. I unchecked the "Rapport Management Service" program from the Services tab in "system configuration" and VBox works again.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Retired snobird wrote:The hardening problem still exists with the latest version.
I think you mean that the Trusteer Rapport conflict with VirtualBox still exists in the latest version of Trusteer Rapport. Only people using Trusteer Rapport see the Trusteer Rapport conflict.
PeteThePen1

Post by PeteThePen1 »

Yes, the Trusteer problem has not been resolved by IBM yet. I bank with Santander and they are currently pushing it (May 2020) and so I installed it. VB died just as for all the other posters. I only realised that it was the problem by looking back to my notes from 2018 when last had VB issues. Now uninstalled and VB updated to the latest version and all working perfectly. 5 Stars for the VB Team, 0 starts for IBM's Trusteer Team.

Pete
barrowboy

Post by barrowboy »

I add this here because the other posts (I saw firstly) seem to be a couple of years old.
I've been using Virtualbox for several years up to now with mostly windows XP clients without problems.
Just recently this has changed and I cannot open any of my existing machines.
I tried creating a new one but that could not be opened either.
I tried the recommeded 'reinstall Virtualbox' but that hed no effect.
Reading various posts I saw that Trusteer could be causing a problem - (it did with Sandboxie but that is now solved). I therefore uninstalled Trusteer and the problem went away.
Not the best solution as it seems to remove some protection while accessing finance sites.
I don't really want to mess about with reconfiguring bits here and there as that will get forgotten about too easily.
I added the error message and hardening log here which seemed to be useful.
In the short term I'll have to extract all the data afrom the VMs and re-install Trusteer.
Report of reason to uninstall Trusteer sent to IBM (They seem to assume everyone banks in North America)
Hope this is some use.

W10 64bit v2004 build 19041.572
i5 750 with 12G RAM
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
Hardening log
(14.67 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Error message
Error message
VirBoxError.jpg (26.51 KiB) Viewed 63236 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

If you're still having issues with Trusteer, try running it inside a guest.
vjbutt

Post by vjbutt »

I confirm what barrowboy has just posted. It seems that with the latest update Trusteer Rapport has broken VirtualBox. Uninstalling Trusteer Rapport has solved the problem (this thread saved me!). I have posted this problem to IBM.
zatz

Post by zatz »

This is an update to my post viewtopic.php?f=6&t=88480&start=15#p429051 earlier in this thread.

In VirtualBox 6.1.32, VBoxDrv was changed to VBoxSup, and so the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\VBoxDrv key was changed to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\VBoxSup

Therefore all references to VBoxDrv in the instructions need to be changed to VBoxSup, and the instructions are now:

Code: Select all

- Completely uninstall Oracle's Virtual Box that is currently installed.
- Restart the computer.
- Install the latest version of Oracle's Virtual Box.
- After install completes do not restart the computer
- Open the registry editor: Start > Run > regedit
- Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\VBoxSup
- Edit the key called Start. Change it's value from 1 to 3.
- Edit key called Type and change that to 2.
- Close the registry editor and restart your computer.
- You will need to start VBOXSUP after each restart by going to elevated CMD and typing SC START VBOXSUP (This will need to be done every time computer reboots).