Virtualbox problem with Trusteer Rapport

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
riclap
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Re: Virtualbox problem with Trusteer Rapport

Post by riclap »

Thanks a lot. Resolved problem removing Rapport.
R
Monstercarp

Post by Monstercarp »

I note the comments about the IBM workaround. I would also point out that in their document IBM state that this is a temporary fix and they do not know if it will form part of their final upgrade to Rapport or not. In other words they don't really yet know all the implications of the workaround.

This is a great forum full of useful support and I don't wish to enter a slanging match with another well meaning contributor. However I would point out that the purpose of Rapport is to help protect financial websites from fraudulent activity and indeed a number of banks insist that you use it in conjunction with internet banking. There is an admittedly pretty small but none the less real possibility of being hacked and losing money. The banks are reluctant to refund stolen cash at the best of times. I can't imagine their response if they find out that the user has modified Rapport. Just a thought.

By the way is there any indication yet as to when IBM might have an authorised fix.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Monstercarp wrote: By the way is there any indication yet as to when IBM might have an authorised fix.
It seems to me that IBM are the only ones who can answer that.
zatz

Post by zatz »

mpack wrote:
Monstercarp wrote: By the way is there any indication yet as to when IBM might have an authorised fix.
It seems to me that IBM are the only ones who can answer that.
After discovering this thread and the cause of my problems a couple of days ago (thanks to everyone involved), I followed up with IBM to see if the information in the post above viewtopic.php?f=6&t=88480#p427703 was still current. After a bit of back and forth, I got this reply:
Regarding the Virtual Box, please note that Rapport Cerberus is an essential driver that is responsible for significant parts or Rapport's security settings, hence keeping it disabled may cause severe security breaches.

Therefore, we advise you to re-enable Rapport Cerberus until the release of the new version.

In addition, in order to get Oracle's Virtual Box working again please follow the instructions below:
- Completely uninstall Oracle's Virtual Box that is currently installed.
- Restart the computer.
- Install the latest version of Oracle's Virtual Box.
- After install completes do not restart the computer
- Open the registry editor: Start > Run > regedit
- Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\VBoxDrv
- Edit the key called Start. Change it's value from 1 to 3.
- Edit key called Type and change that to 2.
- Close the registry editor and restart your computer.
- You will need to start VBOXDRV after each restart by going to elevated CMD and typing SC START VBOXDRV (This will need to be done every time computer reboots).

Please be advised that the issue experienced is currently being investigated by our company experts and we expect a permanent solution to be released in a Rapport future update.

Unfortunately, at the current stage of the investigation we do not have a definitive time frame for a full resolution.

Thank you for your understanding and patience on this matter.
As it involves changes to the registry, I haven't tried it yet as I thought that it was best to see what people here have to say.

Does anyone know what those registry changes will do? Or the alternative way of starting VBOXDRV? Or do I have to be the guinea pig? :)

Thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

zatz wrote:Or do I have to be the guinea pig? :)
Yes! :D
We haven't heard of any major problems of changing the loading order of VBoxDrv. Yet...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
zatz

Post by zatz »

The fix provided by IBM that I set out above has worked for me - VirtualBox and Rapport are now both running.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@zatz
Thank you for reporting back.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SadSack963

Post by SadSack963 »

I have written a little Powershell script which may help those not comfortable with editing the registry and also allows the user to start Virtualbox with a single click of an icon on the taskbar without having to go to the command prompt. The instructions are included inside the script. I cannot guarantee that it will solve the problems for everyone, but it works for me. HTH.
Attachments
VirtualBox.zip
(2.44 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@SadSack963
Nice work, and for your first post none the less! Kudos!
SadSack963

Post by SadSack963 »

@socratis

Thanks for the comment. I've spent many hours researching various problems myself, so it's nice to be able to make a positive contribution for once.
Peter1701

Post by Peter1701 »

Dear Nick

your workaround solution worked perfectly for me.
Has a permanent solution been reached.

if so please post it on my stream.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=89610&p=430482#p430482

XP Guest will not restart after PC is powered down. (#18006)
[ModEdit: Please do not cross-post. It makes an issue more difficult to follow]

Thank you for taking the time.
john_s

Post by john_s »

Disabling Rapport Cerberus as per the instructions worked for me! Now to try and find why my Movidius Neural Compute Stick keeps detaching from the USB.
BlueLagoon

Re: Hardening Fix (workaround) For Error After Install and Restart

Post by BlueLagoon »

Host PC – ASUS ZX753VD-GC266T 17” Laptop running Windows 10 Home 64 bit v1809 Build 17763.292 with latest updates and VB Software – version 6.0.4
Guest – Windows 10 Pro 64 bit v1809 Build 17763.292 with latest updates

Since installing version 6.0.4 I have been unable to start VB getting “Error In supR3HardenedWinReSpawn” I have tried: -

Uninstalling VBox
Deleting C:\Program Files\Oracle folder
ReBooting
Installing VBox 6.0.4
Installing the Extension Pack
ReBooting

Also tried : - System > Acceleration > Paravirtualization Interface = KVM

N.B. I always make sure that VBOXDRV and VBOXSDS are running before attempting to start the VM

But this is not resolving the issue.

I read somewhere that Trusteer Rapport maybe causing the problem to I uninstalled it and hey presto the VM starts.

Contacted IBM and got the following reply: -
Following careful investigation we would like to inform you that the issue you experienced occurs due to Virtual Box's latest update and is unrelated to Rapport.

We have established a line of communication with Oracle regarding this issue, however we would like to encourage you to contact them as well regarding this issue.

We kindly refer you to a Virtual Box's forum where the issue is being discussed and fixes are suggested. you can access this forum via the following link:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=82277
I have attached screen grabs and the VBoxHardening.log
Attachments
VB Hardening Issue.7z
(56.75 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@BlueLagoon
There is a better topic than the one suggested by IBM, the one that I moved your post into: Virtualbox problem with Trusteer Rapport.
JorgeOC

Post by JorgeOC »

Is this still the only solution to the Trusteer Rapport problem (the one posted by IBM) ? I followed the instructions and were able to start again Oracle VM. My problem is that my bank suggests to use the Trusteer software. :? So it is a cumbersome solution to follow every time I want to start a VM and afterwards restore Trusteer to its original state.
Any help will be appreciated.