Can't open vmdk file on Win10

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
lwyivan

Can't open vmdk file on Win10

Post by lwyivan »

Hi every senior,
I got the cenOS vmdk source and ran it on VirtualBox(5.1.26) normally with Windows7, HDD:SATA. I want to run the same vmdk file on my new PC. The PC specification is here CPU(Intel Core i7-7700 3.6G 4C), HDD(256GB SSD M.2 PCIe OPAL TLC), OS(Windows10 Pro). I also installed the same VirtualBox(5.1.26), but the file can't be executed. Is it the HDD fragment problem?? Do yours can solve the problem? Thanks for your help~

I loaded the vbox format file or exported vdi file and opened with virtualbox. The problem is fixed. The CPU virtualization must be enable on the bios for running the virtual machine tools... HAHA. Thanks every one~

I tried to export this vdi file on the same tool (Virtualbox) different platform which is from windows 7 to Linux version. It was prompted a error said that the vmdk file format was not valid...
Last edited by lwyivan on 26. Jun 2018, 05:09, edited 1 time in total.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Can't open vmdk file on Win10

Post by andyp73 »

lwyivan wrote:the file can't be executed
Which file can't be executed? The .vmdk file is just the data file that contains the disk that the guest sees. Start by following the FAQ: Moving a VM.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

A VMDK is a virtual hard disk. You can't run a hard disk on its own, you need the recipe that goes along with that hard drive: what OS, how much RAM/vRAM/CPUs, what kind of network, etc.

You will most probably have to create a new VM that matches as close as possible your old VM, and attach the existing hard disk (VMDK) when asked to. Make a backup first of the VMDK in case something goes wrong...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Why is it a .vmdk? Did you download it as an OVA? Do you still have the OVA?

If you still have the OVA, import it into VirtualBox on the new machine. Or download it again and import it.

What does VirtualBox(5.126) mean? Version 5.1.26 perhaps? If you are running the latest version of Windows you should try the latest version of VirtualBox (5.2.12 at the time of posting this).
Bill
lwyivan

Post by lwyivan »

Is it possible to import the vdi from windows version to linux version of Virtual Box??
Last edited by socratis on 26. Jun 2018, 11:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Yes. Although I'd suggest that you don't just move the VDI if you already have the VM ready. See the FAQ "Moving a VM" and interpret it as "Backing up a VM" or "Copying a VM".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.